New guy in VA

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Onelow1ton

New guy in VA

Post by Onelow1ton » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm a new to boat building , but great with my hands and have always love the look of a classic wood boat sense I was a little kid (about 5 ) my grandfather had a 1940 something Chris craft and man I just loved the way that boat looked! I have decided I want something that has that look but something I can actually afford , so I got looking at plans for boats online and came across a few I liked then found the Glen L and got looking at all the diffrent plans and knew for sure I need to build a boat. I'm going to start off with in reason though sense I have never done one and decided on the ZIP 14' , it's got the look I like and looks like a do able project and if that turns out good I might try one of the bigger ones like the Monaco or Tahoe but that would be years down the road when I have a bigger garage to build one in .

Well anyway I'm Kenny and am looking forward to building a zip but I have a lot more research to do first , I ordered the Beginning Plywood Boat Builder Library set today , and I have been reading though this forum and figured I better just sign up now sense there's so much good info Im finding so I can start bookmarking it all for reference latter
Kenny G.

Lowka53

Re: New guy in VA

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm

8) good start welcome to forum. ask questions none are stupid I would also get either the book or cd on http://www.boatdesigns.com/How-to-Fiber ... fo/12-437/ it will come in handy down the road. in the front of the book you got their will be a tool list you should have at least the min tools listed and as many clamps as you can get you never seem to have enough of them. I suggest you stay away from the hand spring clamps they are junk. well you have my 2 cents worth. :wink: :lol: please put your location in your profile so we know where you are at it will help us to suggest suppliers and such. 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Kenny.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Welcome!

ZIP is a very good boat to start with, and you can definately make it classic looking like so many other Glen-L builders have.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Lowka53 wrote:8) good start welcome to forum. ask questions none are stupid I would also get either the book or cd on http://www.boatdesigns.com/How-to-Fiber ... fo/12-437/ it will come in handy down the road. in the front of the book you got their will be a tool list you should have at least the min tools listed and as many clamps as you can get you never seem to have enough of them. I suggest you stay away from the hand spring clamps they are junk. well you have my 2 cents worth. :wink: :lol: please put your location in your profile so we know where you are at it will help us to suggest suppliers and such. 8)

Yeah when I signed up for the free boat building 101 I go a offer for the bundle of three books SP-430 and that had boat building with fiberglass , how to fiberglass a boat, and how to build boat trailers so I got all three . Looks like I need to start collecting clamps now , I only have a few now but it does look like ill need tons of them , I also have never been a big fan of the spring clamps !
Kenny G.

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome !
Kenny G.

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm

I was going to wait until I got my books but after all the reading I have been doing on here I went ahead and ordered the zip plans tonight , and I have found a place that looks to stock all the wood I should need that's just a short 2 hours away
Kenny G.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Looks like you caught the bug. Don't worry, it stays just as exciting as it feels right now.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 am

Oh yeah I got the bug big time , but I'm that way with every project I get into usually just cars and trucks , my wife's happy that I'm obsessing over this boat build and not spending more money on my truck ! Bad thing is I'm in the middle of doing a solid axle swap on my truck so I have to finish that up before I can start on the boat but that's good it will give me time to read up on the boat building book .
Kenny G.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Onelow1ton wrote:Oh yeah I got the bug big time , but I'm that way with every project I get into usually just cars and trucks , my wife's happy that I'm obsessing over this boat build and not spending more money on my truck ! Bad thing is I'm in the middle of doing a solid axle swap on my truck so I have to finish that up before I can start on the boat but that's good it will give me time to read up on the boat building book .
:lol: wait til she gets a load of a cost of a marine motor :roll: and all the goodies you can get for boats :shock:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Welcome!! I look forward to following your zip build.

sawinlogs

Post by sawinlogs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Welcome from another new Zip builder that just started a few weeks ago. I have made a few mistakes and learned to sit down and read and look at a few pics before I start the new stage if I am not sure on something. You will find that the people on this site are very helpful and can quickly get your problems worked out.
Mark A first boat build is the Zip
Thanks for any and all help and comments

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Lowka53 wrote:
Onelow1ton wrote:Oh yeah I got the bug big time , but I'm that way with every project I get into usually just cars and trucks , my wife's happy that I'm obsessing over this boat build and not spending more money on my truck ! Bad thing is I'm in the middle of doing a solid axle swap on my truck so I have to finish that up before I can start on the boat but that's good it will give me time to read up on the boat building book .
:lol: wait til she gets a load of a cost of a marine motor :roll: and all the goodies you can get for boats :shock:

Lol yeah she has asked already if me building this boat means that we will be selling our 2009 sun tracker party barge 21 , I told her no that's like our mini van and the zip will be the sports car ! She just turned and walked away because she knows the money that has been spent on that boat all ready
Kenny G.

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys
Kenny G.

Muellerd

Post by Muellerd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 am

Lol yeah she has asked already if me building this boat means that we will be selling our 2009 sun tracker party barge 21 , I told her no that's like our mini van and the zip will be the sports car ! She just turned and walked away because she knows the money that has been spent on that boat all ready
They will never fully understand!
That's good stuff!
Welcome
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”