Newbee with a couple of questions

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Pat T

Newbee with a couple of questions

Post by Pat T »

Hi all. Stumbled upon this great forum & saw lots neat boats. I really love the 19 ft Barrelback but I wonder if I have the room in my garage to fit and store it on a trailer. My garage is 20 ft 6 inches long. I have read about folding tongue trailers but don't know a whole lot about trailers. Can a 19 ft. boat on a trailer fit in my garage? If not a Barrelback then maybe a 18 ft Biscayne?

I would be using my 3rd bay of my 3 car garage to build my power boat. It has a 9 ft wide door and ceilings are also about 9 ft. I could have 2 to 3 ft on each side for clearance. I originally had this garage built with 3 bays b/c 25 years ago I thought I wanted to build an airplane but life, as you know, got in the way. My kids are grown now, I am semi-retired, and I need a project to work on while I am not sailing Lake Michigan in the summer.

Appreciated your inputs on trailers and workshop. I know I will have more questions once I decide to start.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Newbee with a couple of questions

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Pat

Welcome

It will be a tight build. The BB is a center engine design which means to get proper trailer balance the boat has to sit back on the trailer. Even with the folding tongue, I'm not sure.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Pat. My garage is 24ft deep. My boat is just shy of 21 without the platform. I have it on a trailer with folding tongue. with the fold back as far as possible. The door comes down just on top of the fold in the tongue preventing me from closing the door.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Even if you don't have a folding tongue, I have noticed mine is only bolted on with two bolts. It looks like you could remove the
entire tongue with the bow-winch/jackstand as a unit and the trailer would be shorter than the boat at that point.
https://picasaweb.google.com/vupilot/Ch ... 3180060914

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

The great thing about a folding tongue is that you can put it back as far as you need to. Mine works great.

When I build my boat I had 2.5 feet on each side. You don't need tons of space, but once it's on the trailer, well..., that greatly depends on the trailer. With no outboard, I think I would try it.

The other optin is to angle it both while you build on the form and when you have in on the trailer.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Pat T

Post by Pat T »

Thanks for the replies guys, and nice boats too. I still have some investigating to do. Maybe I can have a trailer custom built to suit my needs? Good thing is that there are smaller boats to build that I can fit in my garage. I just want to build the longest boat I can and still store in my garage. Would like to hear from more of you guys with 18 or 19 ft boats and length of the trailers.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Not sure, but maybe you can shrink the BB some to make it fit.

Pat T

Post by Pat T »

Maybe 19 ft. is too big. I think building an 18ft'er could give me a lot more maneuverability in the garage. Also have read some put their work on castors. This might be the way too go to get more space to work port and starboard. Anybody out there with an 18ft. boat in a 20.5 ft. garage on a trailer? Thanks again.

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Pat
I have a 19'8" Monaco in a 20' garage. To do this I made the trailer with a removable draw bar. The draw bar can also be extended a further 2 increments up to 6'. This comes in handy keeping the car out of the water. (95% of boating down under is done in salt water) The draw bar slides out of a slightly larger SHS that is bolted to the aluminium "I" beams. The boat was built diagonally across one bay (10' X 20') of the garage.
ozzieboat
Attachments
DSCF6176 (800x600).jpg

Pat T

Post by Pat T »

Ozzieboat, Thanks for the reply. I am encouraged it is possible for me to build either the 19 ft barrelback or the 18 ft Biscayne. The key is in getting the correct trailer.
Your Monaco is a beauty!

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Pat
I am sure you will surprise yourself at what you can achieve. I had never built anything like this before so in order to take on a big project like this you need a confidence builder. I built a stitch and glue sea kayak, but any of the small Glen-l boats will suffice. Just something to familiarise yourself with epoxy glues and fibreglassing etc. As far as the trailer goes if you prefer not to build your own I'm sure there is a business near you that can build or modify one to meet your needs. I have attached another trailer image so you get a better idea of the removable/extendable drawbar.
Ozzieboat
Attachments
DSCF3280 (2) (800x600).jpg

Pat T

Post by Pat T »

Cool trailer Ozzieboat. Thanks for sharing. I guess building a trailer is an option too. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. By the way, when do you typically need the trailer? Once you make the flip or is it later?

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Pat
I did not need the trailer until later in the project. After the flip I put the hull in a cradle with castors. As you have to hop in and out of it a million times it's best to have the hull low. I made a home for everything and fitted the deck, then pulled everything out. I then put it on the trailer, had the last coat of clear put on in a spray booth then did the permanent assembling on the trailer.
ozzieboat

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Ozzieboat wrote:Pat
I did not need the trailer until later in the project. After the flip I put the hull in a cradle with castors. As you have to hop in and out of it a million times it's best to have the hull low. I made a home for everything and fitted the deck, then pulled everything out. I then put it on the trailer, had the last coat of clear put on in a spray booth then did the permanent assembling on the trailer.
ozzieboat

You have that right. Keep it low while working inside. But I also learned the hard way to make sure your cradle can handle the weight load once you flip it. I found my boat on the floor one morning on its side. Not good.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”