Greetings from the Arizona desert

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

deebrat

Greetings from the Arizona desert

Post by deebrat »

In the umpteen years I've wandered the internet I never stumbled across the Glen-L site until this week. A string ensemble in the background plays "Whole New World". Great stuff.

Where would be the best place to ask questions about builder's experience with construction and storage in arid climates? It's 13% humidity today and it will go down to 8 or 9 next month. I don't want to start a vast project with a half-vast idea that my dreamboat will be immune to dryness.

Lowka53

Re: Greetings from the Arizona desert

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: you found the place we have builders from around the world and some in your area. just ask any question you like and we will do our best to answer them. Your humidity is not a problem I am in Utah living in the high desert actually to much humidity will give you more problems than low. Just select a boat you like get the plans and start your build. 8) :D also be aware we are having a boat builders gathering at Page AZ on July 11 thru 13 at lake Powell hope to see you there
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

deebrat

Post by deebrat »

Thank you. My humidity concern is with the effect on the mix of fiberglass, epoxy and wood during the dry, hot, dry and dry storage in the Summer months. Any delamination or surface finish cracking issues. I live exactly 22 miles from the boat ramp at Lake Pleasant which is NW of Phoenix so I could get a lot of use from a boat but probably not in in the months everyone else in the country does - June-Aug. The lakes are filled with die-hards on the weekends even then though.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) you will have to do you mixing at night when them temp drop you get much over 75 deg and it will hard faster there are methods to slow the cure process. I inclosed shop with cooling that can get the temperature in the 70's would be great for you. you will have to put uv protection over the epoxy to protect it but that is in any claimant. there are other builder in your area and they will chime in soon. we also have builders from places hotter than Phoenix. but you are in a good area to build in the winter months. I can not build during that time because we get snow here. :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

deebrat

Post by deebrat »

In Phoenix in the summer months it sometimes does not get below 100 degrees F until after midnight. The idea of paying for the electricity to keep a boatbuilding-sized workshop under 75 degrees is alarming. So I think I will limit building to the other 9 months.

deebrat

Post by deebrat »

In the newsletter I just received from Glen-L there are photos of a Belle Isle built by Dean Berry in Phoenix. I looked and did not see a build log here for him. Since his build lasted over several summers in the desert I'll bet he has 100% of the answers I'm looking for about the long term effects of dry air on an epoxied-wood boat. Can someone point me to his log or let him know I would like to speak with him?
Thank you.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

There may be a guideline that you need so many posts before you can PM someone on this site, but at some point you might try to PM him yourself. Good Luck.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

John B

Post by John B »

deebrat wrote:In the newsletter I just received from Glen-L there are photos of a Belle Isle built by Dean Berry in Phoenix. I looked and did not see a build log here for him. Since his build lasted over several summers in the desert I'll bet he has 100% of the answers I'm looking for about the long term effects of dry air on an epoxied-wood boat. Can someone point me to his log or let him know I would like to speak with him?
Thank you.
Dean's photos are in the Glen-L galleries located here: http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/belle-isle-design/

And Dean has posted in the Glen-L blog as well here: http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/

We really encourage all of our builders to utilize the Glen-L Blog site and photo Gallery sites so that everyone can share in your progress.

John B
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

deebrat

Post by deebrat »

Thank you, John.

I used the blog site to contact Dean yesterday and I picked up his reply this morning. This is a great site that I didn't know existed until recently and I am learning a lot of good information. All I need to do is clean all of the gahrbahge out of my 3rd garage and buy some plans and lumber and glue and fasteners and... and... and... :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”