new builder seeking ideas and help

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

eugenet

new builder seeking ideas and help

Post by eugenet » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:31 am

Hello everyone
I am a newbie to boat building in full size. I have been aware of glen l for several years and read some books i ordered from them and have dreampt of the oppertunity to build a small runabout / v drive. I now find myself in a position to do so , however the old barn i want to work in has an uneven dirt floor with a slight angled grade to it. I need to create a nice floor that is level and can be used to good effect , i can floor over half the barn to just about build a 16' to 17' craft and i want to use wood planking and joists as the flooring medium with the vertical joist supports sunk into the soil. I shy away from cement as thats too permanent for me. Can anyone help with suggestions toward selecting wood sizes and design for a strong suspended wood floor, has anyone done this before.
Many thanks :D

auspete

Re: new builder seeking ideas and help

Post by auspete » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Eugenet,

I am a carpenter by trade in Australia, over here we usually use 4 x 3 bearers and 3 x 1 1/2 joists but if you go to your local timber yard with your dimensions and tell them what you would like to do I think they should be able to set you straight.
If I was doing something temporary like that I would look at using a steel flooring system that can easily be dismantled and re used, just an option.

Regards Auspete

eugenet

Post by eugenet » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:59 pm

yeah, never thought about that one thanks , i will give it a look. I can pretty much do what i want to the barn and the floor as its been left in a bit of a state by the past owner , however im on a budget but i dont want to compromise when it comes to a level and solid floor to build on and take datums from, i feel that the first step towards building a boat is the enviroment its built in and i want to get that right first.
many thanks

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Eugenet:

I remember seeing several people post photos of building their boat outside under a tarp. The ground certainly wasn't level. I think as long as the ground in the barn is not extremely slanted, you do not need a floor. as long as your form is plumb and level, your measurements can be taken from a level line drawn on the form. I am building my boat in my garage. By code my floor must slant from back to front. The floor in the back is 2 inches higher then at the doors. When building my forms, I made sure the cross members that hold the boat frames were level front to back and side to side. Have had no problems yet.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

eugenet

Post by eugenet » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:55 am

Take your point there about your suggestion, well, i,m in the very early stages here of sorting out this old brick barn and prefer to have a wood floor, i thought i would treat myself to a nice floor as i,m just tired of walking on dirt thats about 1 foot higher at one end and has two slope angles.

aherrett

Post by aherrett » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 am

I have a dirt floor in my shed, not as much of a slope as yours, but about a 6 inch drop over 20 feet. I finished my Bonanza 19ft build in feb. I just dug some post holes and concreted the frame posts into the holes. Once they were set, leveling etc is easy. Of course the frame is level, but my floor the floor slopes, that just means you have more clearance to get under at one end!. no probs during the build, no movement, and relatively easy to get out once finished, just a bit of digging!!

eugenet

Post by eugenet » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:51 am

Ok, so what size posts and joist and flooring wood did you use or am i getting confused with the actual boat building frame cemented into the soil ? this is all new to me.

miyot

Post by miyot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am

My barn also has a dirt floor that is not level. I cemented 4X4 inch treated posts into the ground and bolted my building jig to them. You have to watch there placement so they don't interfere with any cross members or parts of the boat. Then I used old carpet to cover the dirt areas and provide some cushion for my knees.

After completion I just cut the posts off with a chain saw. Worked really well. Much less work than installing a floor.

aherrett

Post by aherrett » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 pm

if you want a wooden floor anyway, then of course take the opportunity to put one in. If you think you need a nice flat floor just to build the boat, not needed.

Make the frame jig posts about another 14 inches longer, and cement them into 4 10 inch round holes (for 4 inch posts) that will be enough support for your frame. After the posts are in, build the rest of your jig and level off as you go. you can sorta see my dirt floor and jig in photo number 008 of my build gallery. http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/bonanza- ... llery=1605

If you have lots of time and money, For a floor in a barn, roughly, 4inch posts, 10 inch round and 20-30 inch deep holes (soft ground deeper) set at 5 feet spacings. Then 6x2inch bearers set onto the posts, then 2x4 bearers at 1.5 ft spacing, then flooring on top.

Google 'joist and bearers' and you will get the idea.

regard, anthony

eugenet

Post by eugenet » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 am

ok guys i think i,m forming some ideas here many thanks for your help and suggestions. :D

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:27 pm

miyot wrote:I cemented 4X4 inch treated posts into the ground and bolted my building jig to them. You have to watch there placement so they don't interfere with any cross members or parts of the boat.
I used the same method for an awning-covered outdoor building site. It has worked out well.

download/file.php?id=5706&mode=view

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 pm

steveh41 wrote:
miyot wrote:I cemented 4X4 inch treated posts into the ground and bolted my building jig to them. You have to watch there placement so they don't interfere with any cross members or parts of the boat.
I used the same method for an awning-covered outdoor building site. It has worked out well.

download/file.php?id=5706&mode=view
It boggles the mind Steve that your beautiful nearly completed boat was actually at the stage in the photo at one time.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks Carl,

It seems like a long time ago, but I can still remember the excitement of seeing the first frames in place and getting a glimpse of the boat outlines as they began to take shape.

One of the many reasons I enjoy browsing this forum is seeing projects like yours going to the framing and fairing stage... I get that same feeling again! :D

Regards,

Steve

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”