New member, will need some guidance

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

KenRas

New member, will need some guidance

Post by KenRas »

Hi everyone, I am Ken and have been looking and talking about building a boat for years. We will be moving out of the People Republik of Kommifornia within the next year headed for the promised land. After 50 years of taxation, oppression and working my butt off for nothing we have had enough.

I am a paramedic in a very busy 911 system, company handled almost 100k calls last year, and am finally figuring this is a young mans game. Wife is a RN at a local rheumatology clinic.

I am seriously considering building in the next year after we relocate. The Chinook is currently at the top of the list to consider but the Olympian and True Grit are also getting serious consideration. I was wondering what others thought about those designs and which would be the easiest for a first time builder?

Ozzieboat

Re: New member, will need some guidance

Post by Ozzieboat »

Ken
Both you and your wife have very noble occupations, but stressful. I can assure you that building a Glen-L boat will go a long way in relieving some of the stress.
Happy building
ozzieboat

KenRas

Post by KenRas »

I have narrowed it down to the Chinook. I did purchase the study plans for the Chinook and Olympian along with the plywood book. After looking at the study plans the Chinook looks like an easier build for a first timer.
I have read through about a 1/4 of the plywood book and am picking up a few hints and tips. My father and I did repair and fiberglass an old wood boat when I was about 10, some 40 years ago. Seeing the pictures brought back a lot of memories of that summer. Its a decent book and I still have a lot to learn, terminology is a bit confusing

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

We'll do our best to confuse you more on the language. :lol:

On your boat choice... My advice is build what you really want! You don't want to invest this much time, money and effort to be thinking "I wish I'd built the _________."

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I agree with Bill. Once you get into the build you will realize that it is a considerable project and you may not want to do another after you finish the first one (not that the building process is a bad experience - just a lengthy one). Build what you want from the get go. You'll learn as you go and by the time you get to the harder parts, you will have more experience and confidence.

I've never built anything larger than a book shelf prior to this and my boat is the 21 foot Vera Cruise, which a fairly substantial boat.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) welcome to the forum what part of Idaho you moving to I live south in Utah 8) not far from the boarder
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

KenRas

Post by KenRas »

Lowka53 wrote:8) welcome to the forum what part of Idaho you moving to I live south in Utah 8) not far from the boarder
We are looking in the northern areas of Boise, Eagle and Horseshoe Bend. Would love to be in McCall but I dont think the mother in law could handle the winters

KenRas

Post by KenRas »

Only been off the forum for about a year and a lot has happened. Both here and with us personally. In the original post I said we were looking for a home in the south Idaho area. Scrap that idea and look north. Way north, panhandle region next to one of the most beautiful lakes I have ever been on, Pend Orielle. We have purchased a home on 1 acre with a small. 22x30 detached shop/garage in the town of Sagle. It is about 45 minutes north of Coeur d'alene and 75 or so miles from the Canuck boarder. Gonna be a big change from the central valley of California, but we are up for it. Escrow set to close next week and loading the moving trucks the first week of October.

WojoW

Post by WojoW »

WOW, that's a drastic change!
Must be a beautiful area, but definitely 4 seasons!
Congratulations!
Wojo

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Sounds like a great place to build a boat!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”