New member,building a zip, Perth Western Australia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Whiteant

New member,building a zip, Perth Western Australia

Post by Whiteant » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:02 am

Starting a zip build, my first boat.

ian bell

Re: New member,building a zip, Perth Western Australia

Post by ian bell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Welcome aboard ,there are a few Aussie builders of various boats on the forum. Make sure your form is high enough to crawl under to unbolt when you go to turn over. With mine I could just reach the bolts at full stretch . I am building a Renegade with no experience other than wood work I learnt at high school .What wood are you using for the frames. I used 100 year old hoop pine . Also remember to measure twice cut once and take your time.
Ian

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Welcome! You'll find plenty of Zip help here in the forums. Many of us have built one--easily the most popular build it seems. Perhaps Gayle could confirm that.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Whiteant

Post by Whiteant » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks guys looks like a great forum. I'm sure I'll need plenty of advice, I'm just sourcing my wood at the moment. i haven't had to think imperial measurements in 20 years so I'm converting the plans now. Has anyone placed an order for zip frame timbers in hoop pine or tasmanian oak in Perth? Any recommendations? Allwood timber can't seem to get the long lengths, I would prefer not to make too any joins.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 am

I'm assuming that you have a copy of Boatbuilding With Plywood. In it, are listed many species suitable for your build. Most, unfortunately, are North American species.

There are a few Ausie builders who completed or who are completing the Zip. Hopefully, they will chime in soon.

In general, you want a wood that will hold fasteners well and be friendly with adhesives. Of paramount importance to me, was quality, quartersawn wood. I was able to hand select boards from a local warehouse. Only one in every half dozen or so was acceptable. If I had let the seller select my boards, I would have got whatever was at the top of the stack.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Barra

Post by Barra » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am

Hey Whiteant,

I'm in Perth too and have pretty much completed a Zip, just got upholstery to go.

I'm up north in Dampier at the moment but when I'm back you're welcome to drop round to have a look and ask any questions which I'll try answer.

I used hoop pine, got it from Austim but I think they don't stock it anymore. There is another place in Welshpool that stocks a lot of tas oak, Auswest.

Cheers

Whiteant

Post by Whiteant » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:40 am

Thanks Barra ,I'm in Adelaide this week but would great to pick your brain when both back in town.
Cheers
Mark

Whiteant

Post by Whiteant » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:17 am

Hi Barra
Let me know when you are back in town It would be great to have a look at your boat.
I'm at Coogee.

Thanks
Mark

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”