newby from Australia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

guv

newby from Australia

Postby guv » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi All,
I'm Mike, but my user name is Guv (an old nick name from my airforce days). I live in the great state of Queensland on a small farm just south of the town of Gatton. I've owned plans I bought from Glen L for around 10 years, I am about to start at long last, building a Riviera. I'll add photos as I take them. Just finding timbers to use and suppliers. I have been given the name of a place called Bootle Timbers.

Mike
Mike
Upper Tenthill
Qld Australia
Building a Riviera.

jenko

Re: newby from Australia

Postby jenko » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Welcome Mike ,
I think that makes five Riviera's in progress now in Aus.

guv

Postby guv » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks Jenko,
I'll have a look for them.
Mike
Upper Tenthill
Qld Australia
Building a Riviera.

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Welcome aboard Mike
I'm not building a Riviera .I am building a glen-l Renegade and Live near Logan Village .You are welcome to come and have a look
Ian

guv

Postby guv » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm

ian bell wrote:Welcome aboard Mike
I'm not building a Riviera .I am building a glen-l Renegade and Live near Logan Village .You are welcome to come and have a look
Ian

Thanks Ian,
I'll be down your way sooner or later, would like to have a look. got 2 suppliers for my boat at Loganholme to go to. Bootle Timber and boat craft. I'll make sure I give you some notice.
Mike
Upper Tenthill
Qld Australia
Building a Riviera.

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:52 am

Mike
The Riviera is only a stretched Monaco and there happens to be two Monacos east of you. One at Ipswich and mine at Cornubia (between Loganholme and Mt Cotton and near Boatcraft Pacific). You are more than welcome to come and have a look and ask questions anytime. Mine has been on the water for about 15 months. There is also a Riviera under construction on the Gold Coast too. A couple of must dos before you start. Purchase from Glen-L, their carbon paper, fastener kit, driver bits (6) for the silicon bronze screws (they are not Phillips, but Frearson, hard to get here) and a copy of "Inboard Motor Installations". Also go to www.bronkalla.com and download his article, print and bind it. A must for a Riviera/Monaco builder. Buy a bandsaw, even the $500 units are a good buy and a must for the project. Nearly all cutting will be done on this. A common timber used around these parts is hoop pine for the frame and for the planking, hoop pine ply. For bright work contact Thin Timbers in Gympie. The best price and quality of solid hoop is from Sandgate Sawmills. Both Janden Industries and Revolution Plywood for the ply, both are at Brendale. I also have a melamine sheet which is used to set up the frames, that you can use.
You are going to love doing this build.
Regards
Alan

guv

Postby guv » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:52 am

Ozzieboat wrote:Mike
The Riviera is only a stretched Monaco and there happens to be two Monacos east of you. One at Ipswich and mine at Cornubia (between Loganholme and Mt Cotton and near Boatcraft Pacific). You are more than welcome to come and have a look and ask questions anytime. Mine has been on the water for about 15 months. There is also a Riviera under construction on the Gold Coast too. A couple of must dos before you start. Purchase from Glen-L, their carbon paper, fastener kit, driver bits (6) for the silicon bronze screws (they are not Phillips, but Frearson, hard to get here) and a copy of "Inboard Motor Installations". Also go to http://www.bronkalla.com and download his article, print and bind it. A must for a Riviera/Monaco builder. Buy a bandsaw, even the $500 units are a good buy and a must for the project. Nearly all cutting will be done on this. A common timber used around these parts is hoop pine for the frame and for the planking, hoop pine ply. For bright work contact Thin Timbers in Gympie. The best price and quality of solid hoop is from Sandgate Sawmills. Both Janden Industries and Revolution Plywood for the ply, both are at Brendale. I also have a melamine sheet which is used to set up the frames, that you can use.
You are going to love doing this build.
Regards
Alan

Hi Alan,
I would really like to come and see your boat, the more info I have the better. The contacts you mention are invaluable. Thanks, hope to see your boat soon.
Mike
Upper Tenthill
Qld Australia
Building a Riviera.

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Mike
Anytime, just ring me I'm in the book.
Alan

Old aussie

Postby Old aussie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Welcome Mike , I am building a Riviera almost ready to drop motor in, if you are up around Gladstone way you are most welcome to
call in and have a look, my build is under Old Aussie.....

Peter...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”