Greetings From Ohio

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

18shamic

Greetings From Ohio

Post by 18shamic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Hey,
I am new to the forums, and i am planning on building a small Glen-L classic runabout design, such as a Malahini or a Roustabout, in the Cleveland area. I am planning to use this boat on Lake erie, but i'm not sure if it would be particularly safe or wise to do so. Lake erie is very shallow, and storms can come up fast. So tell me what you think (if you want to)

Thanks for any help,
Michael Shade

Roberta

Re: Greetings From Ohio

Post by Roberta » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Welcome to the Forum!! Larger lakes usually mean larger waves and swells. I would keep any smaller boat in coves and smaller bays to keep out of trouble. Good luck with the build.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm

The Malahini is a flat bottom design with very minimal vee shape in hull aft of the bow, best suited for more calm waters. The Roustabout would be much better suited to Lake Erie of the two with its Deep Vee design. You might look at the Bravado and Celerity which are a couple other small, deep vee, outboard designs as well before you decide.

Good luck and keep us posted.

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks for the advice!
After more thought and consideration, I was leaning away from the Roustabout because no one had built it in recent years, and I thought that there would be little to no forum support. Now, i am going to do more research on the Bravado and Celerity, and see what comes up. Thanks!!

-Michael Shade

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:06 pm

The construction of any of the boats is very similar to one another of similar construction methods. Don't let the fact that its not the most popular build online dissuade you. There will still be lots of support through the forum and from publications available through Glen-L such as the Boat-Building with Plywood book by Glen Witt and the articles archived on the website. More important would be to match the boat to your needs and the water you will use it in, along with the time, space and budget you have available to build it.

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

In that case, I think that the roustabout is the best option. I would probably make it an outboard, because having an inboard seems like it would be harder for a first boat. The Bravado and Celerity look great, but I was really hoping I could go for the classic 1950's style runabout look, which is why I was looking at the roustabout. I might modify the back end of the boat to look more like a runabout, something like adding a slight "barrel back" curve at the back. Do you think that this would be easily achieved? The Deep Vee design seems like it is the way to go.

Edit:
How much trouble do you think it would be to convert the Malahini into a Deep Vee? Is this a possible option? I prefer the lines of the Malahini to anything else out there, and the roustabout doesn't have the variation in the beam width to look like a runabout, or the barrel back design. Either way, I am considering modifying the plans at least a little, and it would be nice to have a professionals opinion before I do something stupid.

Thanks for all your help,
Michael Shade

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Major changes to the hull are not usually recommended. I feel that when people take that route it would sorta cease to be a Glen-L boat and become one of your own design in a lot of ways.

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Oh...Well, thanks for your help, and I think I am going to be going with the Malahini, because there is a long break wall outside a yacht club nearby, and the water should be fine in there. On the days when I can go out on the lake, I will. But if this turns out to be the only boat i build for a while, I want it too be a unique, classic runabout, and not just another a plastic tub. :D When I start in about five weeks, I will start a blog, and post the link here. I read your whole blog for 9 hours strait last week, and i didn't make the connection that you were the same person. (small world I guess) I think it would be cool to do a time lapse too. Anyway, Thank you for all your help vupilot, and Roberta. Is there anything that I should prepare for/have on hand before i start my build? Or any sage words of wisdom?

Thanks again,
Michael Shade

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:40 pm

The things you must have are patience and persistance my son.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:34 pm

:lol: most any of these build can be giving the classic look by doing a clear finished decking and sides and veneering with wood
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:25 am

:D Lake of the Woods can get pretty rough down in big traverse;I hardly ever go down there.It's shallow too.I usually stay up in island section,although from time to time the Angle bay can get pretty choppy.(I've had a 16ft.lund stand straight -up on her transom before).Would not recommend it.You just have to pick your days.either that or go slower-I'm building a Bo-Jest(top speed of 6 or 7 mph) so I can go camping in it up in the island section.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:41 am

If your really stuck on the Malahini one last suggestion would be take a look at the Geronimo also. http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard12/pic614c.html Its flat bottom but has higher freeboard and is the same length as the Malahini.

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks for all the advice and support, and I recently learned that we have a way to easily get inboard motors very cheaply. (we know a guy in the automotive industry) This might change my decision to go with the malahini, but i should have everything set in stone by the end of this weekend, if not earlier. As far as inboards go I was considering the Ski King, Audeen, and the Bonanza. What do you think about these designs? Thank you vupilot especially, you have been a great help.

Thank you everyone,
Michael Shade

ashespap

Post by ashespap » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:25 pm

I grew up in the Cleveland area (Wickliffe) and spent my youth on Lake Erie in a 16' fiberglass boat. I am also building the Malahini. Based on these two facts, I would suggest seriously considering something with a deeper 'V' as well. But no matter what your choice, the many builders and others on this forum will be very helpful to you.

Good Luck!
Bob
Middle TN
Building a Malahini

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

8) I am from Ohio and if you are going to put it on the big pond a deep v is needed. even a slight breeze can bring up some big hop and storms can come across her real quick why take the chance to be come another boat fatality that lake takes plenty every year :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”