New member from oregon

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

vupilot

Re: New member from oregon

Postby vupilot » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 am

Great looking build! Thanks for the updates

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:44 am

Wow, Josh! Your Zip is coming along beautifully! I really like the table saw setup, too.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:53 am

BarnacleMike wrote:Wow, Josh! Your Zip is coming along beautifully! I really like the table saw setup, too.

Thanks much, limited budget=ingenuity :lol:
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:19 am

I can totally relate!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 am

Josh,

You have a great looking boat there! It doesn't matter how much I look at it, I still smile at the Zip 'lines' every time. :)

That water line looks sweet!

Questions:
What types of wood and ply are you using? Which epoxies?
What motor have you selected (assuming you already have one since you built for short shaft)?
Regarding your butt joints on the side paneling--several of your pictures seem to indicate that your butt joint has only a single row of screws forward of the joint securing the butt plate. Can you explain what you did here? I only ask because this was a source of particular anxiety for me and I took max precautions (two rows on each side).

Can wait to see what you do with the interior!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Andy Garrett wrote:Josh,

You have a great looking boat there! It doesn't matter how much I look at it, I still smile at the Zip 'lines' every time. :)

Questions:
What types of wood and ply are you using? Which epoxies?
What motor have you selected (assuming you already have one since you built for short shaft)?
Regarding your butt joints on the side paneling--several of your pictures seem to indicate that your butt joint has only a single row of screws forward of the joint securing the butt plate. Can you explain what you did here? I only ask because this was a source of particular anxiety for me and I took max precautions (two rows on each side).

Can wait to see what you do with the interior!

I'm using hydrotek (meranti) ply and i love it, all other wood is african mahogany, im using glen l poxy grip for construction and glen l poxy shield for encapsulation, i do not have a motor yet but short shafts are still easy to find in my area, found ten or so 40-50hp motors just last month, i glued half of the butt block behind the rear section with clamps alone, let that cure and then screwed the front panel in place because i couldn't come up with a clever way to clamp it without screws, if i could have i would not have used any screws in that joint at all, i was really scared of epoxy when i started the zip, after using it and really stressing the epoxy joints especially the chines,
I am supremely confident in epoxy's strength, i believe gdcarpenter pulled out all his screws and his zip is held together by epoxy alone. If i did the ply joint in my first month of building i probably would have used a full box of screws per joint, now i dont even consider screws necessary. I'm prepping the inside for encapsulation this month, not too long from now I'll be cruising, if your interested i have youtube vids showing progress including this joint, i upload a couple every month, 17 vids so far, search "building the zip"......josh

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 am

A few update pics, ordered a couple 6" stainless bow eyes from glen-l, built two 4" mahogany washers to distribute force and have been prepping inside for encapsulation, plugging away, i mounted the eyes low because i really liked how the position looked on gdcarpenters zip plus it leaves me plenty of prime location to add the name, yes i have a name picked out and no I'm not telling 8)
Attachments
20150816_103915.jpg
Pure beauty
20150816_103852.jpg
mahogany washers
20150816_103934.jpg
Pretties

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Sanding like a madman, getting ready for encapsulation inside this weekend :wink:

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Andy! I did not realize you were the builder of morning wood, your boat is the bomb! Love the name also, i watched all your youtube vids a few weeks back, i laughed when you panned up and said "ominous" lol. I have several vids of my zip build up, check em out if you want,....josh

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:54 pm

First interior epoxy encapsulation coat inside done, in a couple hours ill start coat # 2, really wish i would have precoated my parts now, my back is killing me :roll:
Attachments
20150822_143147.jpg
20150822_143221.jpg
20150822_143237.jpg

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Second encapsulation coat done, getting ready to start the deck battens and carlings, here's an update video

https://youtu.be/bNTxFHgTeHA 8)
Attachments
20150823_093527.jpg
Second coat of epoxy

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:51 am

Thats just way to clean. Looks awesome
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

Josh,

Glad you appreciate my Zip. Building her was the most rewarding experiences
of my life thus far.

You wood and epoxy choices are exacly what mine were in every respect. I found the Hydrotek to be splintery and I had some quality control issues with my intial order, but it got worked out--very strong stuff.

I used bronze screws throughout for a couple of reasons. First, the screws allow me to secure thicker cross-sections of the material. That is to say; The head of the screw pulls the entire thickness of the ply into the frame member as deep as the screw goes in. It's a lot like a thru-bolt without going all the way through. The epoxy-only solution relies on the surface grain strength of the solid material and the ply strength of the plywood because only the surfaces are bonded. It was my judgement that the screws added mechanical strength and so, I left them it. There was also the effect of UV light. UV breaks down epoxy, so if a builder ever lets his paint and varnish get too thin or worn, His epoxy will start loosing strenght. The screws make me feel better in that situation. Me experinces with epoxy in knife making reinforce my feeling on this--epoxy is not eternal.

I know the screw vs. no-screw debate has been had, and many 'no-screw' boats are afloat, so it probably makes little difference, but that was the way I did it, and why. And, that was why I asked about your butt joints.

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check Youtube, but I will when I get home! Looking forward to it!

Have fun!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:05 pm

jamundsen wrote:Thats just way to clean. Looks awesome

Thank you

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Glad you appreciate my Zip. Building her was the most rewarding experiences
of my life thus far.

I have watched every glen-l boat video known to man
(not kidding) several times and of course am biased towards zip videos so post all you can i love watching zips. I just passed the one year mark a couple weeks ago. How long did your zip take to build?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”