Hello From South Carolina

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kamisue

Hello From South Carolina

Post by kamisue »

I've been lurking for a few weeks. Figured it was time to introduce myself.

I've never owned a boat, only been on one a half dozen times. One of those times was an hour long cruise on a large sailboat as a passenger. I have never forgotten the feeling of serenity gliding through the water with dolphins playing in front of the boat. Fast forward thirty years and I decided it was now or never.

Sadly I didn't buy my plans from Glen-L. I won't make that mistake again. I did buy a set of plans, or as I prefer to think of them suggestions that resemble the shape of a boat. I don't have a shop, the only tools I had were for doing maintenance on a motorcycle but I had a car I didn't need, sold it and took my materials list to the lumber yard and the next day $1000 worth of select fir and marine plywood was dropped off in my garage. The garage is full but my living room is tiled with 12 inch ceramic tile so I'm building the boat in my living room.

I built a cradle to hold the keel and bottom and placed that on a 1000 lb garden cart so I can wheel it out on the deck for the nasty stuff like sanding. I've taken pictures at every step of the way. If I cut a piece of wood I took a picture. If I gouged a hole in my foot on something I took a picture of that too. I won't post anything until the boat actually sails. My reasoning is if it sinks I can quietly disappear and my foolishness will be a secret :)

I couldn't be more of a beginner. I ripped a 16 foot piece of lumber into pieces before I found out table saws can kill you.

Anyway, I don't know enough to be of any real help on any subject that deals with building wood boats. I've just spent 11 hours over two days sanding and I should be able to get the sides on in a week or so.

Thank you to everyone who shares their knowledge and if I don't sink and get eaten by aligators I'll post a link to someplace with all my photos and what I did to fix each mistake along the way.

chugalug

Re: Hello From South Carolina

Post by chugalug »

:D Table saws can be dangerous-I got holes in my shop walls to prove it. If you can make it thru with all your fingers intact,you're doing something right.just don't go into shop tired .I've got a project going too,and if it sinks too,maybe it'll turn into a giant flower pot on my lawn.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

specialk

Post by specialk »

Hello There...
Not sure were in South Carolina your are..? I am building Flats Flyer in Gaston SC...

Good luck...and do not forget the picture's some of us can't read...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

I'm almost ashamed to show what pitiful skills I have building boats but I'm down to the rigging and registration portions. I took lots of photos and created a short video and posted it on youtube. http://youtu.be/htZdkwusj1E

Since I started this back in March I've learned more than I thought I would, sweated gallons of sweat and a little blood along the way. So anyway, my boat "dywutu" is ready for me to fill out the registration and taxation paperwork.
Last edited by kamisue on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialk

Post by specialk »

I looked at the Video .. you did a great job... keep the pictures coming ... now you have the first one out of the way ...whats next..?
2nd Boat.....?

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

specialk wrote: ...whats next..?
First I have to get it on the water and see if I like sailing. Everything about this is a first for me. With what I learned on this project I'm sure something else would be easier.

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

final video. I mail the paperwork to the state tomorrow for hull number and registration

http://youtu.be/htZdkwusj1E
Last edited by kamisue on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialk

Post by specialk »

Let us know how long it is taking for DNR to come out I am very close to this stage of the build...and would like to know the time table... Thank you kelly
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

In Alabama the DNR people are great. If you tell them you have a need, they will make every effort to get to you quickly. I think the MP Capt. really likes checking out home builds.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

specialk wrote:Let us know how long it is taking for DNR to come out I am very close to this stage of the build...and would like to know the time table... Thank you kelly
a friend of mine said you could haul the boat to the dnr and get the hull number. Then a copy of the registration paperwork you mail in is good for 60 days. I opted not to go downtown this week because of the shooting and all the traffic that goes with the memorial services. Never know with this state. DMV requires minimum three trips to get anything done. Other licences take 90-120 days. I'm hopeful it won't be that long.

Locutus

Post by Locutus »

Kamisue,
I had a similar impression of the plans for my boat (from same source as yours. Saw your Triad build over on that site's forum too.) I was already committed with a materials purchase before discovering Glen-L. I'm making the best of it though and have made modifications that I think improve upon the design. Your Triad is very nice. Good job.

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

Locutus wrote:Kamisue,
I had a similar impression of the plans for my boat (from same source as yours. Saw your Triad build over on that site's forum too.) I was already committed with a materials purchase before discovering Glen-L. I'm making the best of it though and have made modifications that I think improve upon the design. Your Triad is very nice. Good job.
I'm old and have had cataract surgery on both eyes. I needed a magnifying glass just to read the written portion of the plans. I emailed them with suggestions on how to improve their product and my reply was 'some peoples perspective is different from others'. My interaction with that company and their plans has been quite bluntly awful. On the other hand this forum is busy as can be, lots of helpful advice, a fine newsletter and interaction from the folks who run Glen-L. The difference is night and day. Nobody is more surprised than I am that I ended up with a boat after three months of work. A lot of credit I give to the folks here who day in and day out answer questions for people and share knowledge. Here is fun and I surely regret not having gone with Glen-L plans to begin with. All my word of mouth advertising goes to Glen-l.

specialk

Post by specialk »

I totally agree with you .. I have asked some basic questions.. to in my opinion, very tough questions and have always got help.. any thing I can do to help this company.. these fine people and this forum, I would be glad to do...
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Want to help :?: Come to the Gathering.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kamisue

Post by kamisue »

I just crunched the numbers for the money I spent building this boat. My original budget was $2500, which was the money I got from selling a 9 year old car I didn't need anymore. The total of costs include replacement of some material after I screwed up, lots of tools I didn't have (and didn't need but I like more tools), a trailer and boat registration fees.

I didn't detail every single item but listed somethings simply as hardware (eye bolts and pulleys) and screws (all sizes) paint and materials as paint etc. The costs also include things like PFD's, store bought oars, trailer, battery box with built in circuit breakers, trolling motor, extra rope and so forth. The grand total came in about $3600 give or take a few dollars.

I could have done everything within the original budget if I omitted all the tools and trailer and motor and battery etc. All in all I'm pleased but I could have purchased a much larger boat off craigslist for less. But then I wouldn't have had the fun of three months of sawdust and joy. :)

I called the DNR to check on status of registration, "we are swamped and understaffed, please wait a couple more weeks". Wed was three weeks since I mailed the paperwork.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”