pine frames

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

vintage

pine frames

Post by vintage »

Hi my name is frank tumbarello. I just recently purchased plans for the flying saucer. Due to my supplier lacking good spruce I was hoping pine would be OK for frames if well constructed. Is this ok. Thank you for any advice.

Bill Edmundson

Re: pine frames

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Frank

Welcome. I don't know where you are. Please add it to your profile. It will help people help you.

For your question... White pine is not good for boat building. But, Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) is good. White is a fast growth wood that is very soft. SYP is a slow growth pine that the lower limbs usually come off and leave long straight gain lumber.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vintage

Post by vintage »

Thanks so much Bill. I'm from Mass. By the way. I Grew up going to lake winnepesaukee in NH. I fell in love with plywood boats when I inherited an old beat up 8' minimax from a cousin. Miss that little thing. So now with a family of my own I thought the flying saucer would be a nice starter size we can all enjoy. I will heed your advice as a vessels construction should never be compromised with wrong materials. Thanks again. I can't wait to get started!

billy c

Post by billy c »

hi Frank-
welcome. you have Boulter plywood in your neighborhood. they have all the mahogany and plywood supplies you need for building. ...avoid the PT SYP at Home Depot :lol:
See you on Winni
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

vintage

Post by vintage »

Thanks for the tip. Did you build GLORY Days? Beatiful boat.

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 »

Try GreatBay Selectwoods in Portsmouth, NH. They have a great selection of woods. Tons of vertical grain Doug fir to choose from for frames, perfect for your application.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”