bondo glass

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

vintage

bondo glass

Post by vintage »

Hi everyone. Thinking of using the bondo marine glass as a glue for joints on my flying saucer. I find it easy to work with,it will fill voids, and might stay in joint better. Any ideas?

jcallends

Re: bondo glass

Post by jcallends »

Bondo is and always has been a polyester resin filler. Using a filler for an adhesive will result in bonds that do not have the desired physical properties needed for boats. If you want to build a boat forget about easy. It's the ability of the home boat builder to accomplish the difficult tasks that makes building enjoyable.

vintage

Post by vintage »

I guess that's out of the question then. I just thought that the bondo marine glass filler was better than the regular bondo and had better adhesive properties. I will just go with true epoxy and use the Mar glass filler for minor fairing if needed. Thanks for the reply.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

If you need a filler in certain places (as I did) you have a few options--simple ones.

You can buy silica thickener for the epoxy right through Glen-L. I used plenty of this.
Wood flour is also available through Glen-l.
I also saved my sawdust and small chips/curls and used them as well. The powdery dust from my random-orbit palm-sander was ideal (much like flour).

It need not be a 'glass' substance. You'll have plenty of that when you cover the hull with fiberglass sheet.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

vintage

Post by vintage »

Saving sawdust and chips. Smart. Thats the sign of a real craftsman. Thanks.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”