New Member from the Big Easy

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

NAMEngJS

New Member from the Big Easy

Postby NAMEngJS » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 am

Greetings,

Name is Juan, from just outside of New Orleans. I have been visiting the boards quite often for the last year or so and figured I would join up because I am going to be purchasing the Barrelback 19 plans for my father's day gift next month ( Wife told me to order it myself so she would not worry about picking the wrong one :lol: ). I have always loved the look of the old Chris Craft style of boats and I think it would be perfect for cruising on Lakes Ponchatrian and Maurepas with the family (Wife, Daughter, and TBD in July!) I know my wife will be excited to have me finish up all my backlogged projects :roll: , so that I can start working on this new project.

Looking forward to sharing this journey and gleaning any and all advice I can!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Member from the Big Easy

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed May 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Welcome.

My Aunt & Uncle lived in Metairie on River Road. He was a show horse trainer. Long time ago.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Glad to see another South Louisiana builder. I'm in Baton Rouge. Previously built a Glen-L Squirt, presently building a non-GLen-L wooden boat. I'm a member of the Bayou Chapter of the ACBS and we hold a lot of events in Mandeville, Madisonville, and Covington. Welcome Aboard!

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 am

BayouBengal wrote:Glad to see another South Louisiana builder. I'm in Baton Rouge. Previously built a Glen-L Squirt, presently building a non-GLen-L wooden boat. I'm a member of the Bayou Chapter of the ACBS and we hold a lot of events in Mandeville, Madisonville, and Covington. Welcome Aboard!

I have purchased the plans for the Barrelback 19 and hope to start shortly there after. I should have no excuses to not make it to some of the events as I work in Covington!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Cmf0204

Postby Cmf0204 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:29 am

Hi Juan,

I'm located in New Orleans as well....I'm curious if you finished the boat? I'm interested in building a barrel back design too. I'm still doing my homework and wanted to see if there are any local builders in my area that would be interested in sharing their boat building knowledge, experience, and tips. :D

Thanks,Chris

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 am

Hello Chris,

Unfortunately, I have not started :twisted: :roll: :oops: :cry: what with life, work, kids, all that nonsense. I have the plans, and now with my son just about to be 2 I think I may be able to sneak into the garage and be able to start. I know there are a few of us in Louisiana and the forum is a great place to get any information

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Good evening Juan. I hope you get this reply as I can see the last post is from April. I was trolling the new members section for others near me and the Big Easy caught my eye. Anyway I live in Covington and am building the Monaco. My forum thread is entitled, "Monaco Restart" under Power Boats. When you start construction, make sure you begin your own thread. The people on this forum are amazingly helpful and friendly. I could not have gotten this far without their help. Once you start building, you get the bug. I've actually been thinking of my second build. Probably going with an extended version of the Riviera.

Good luck. We look forward to watching your progress.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 am

I definitely plan on starting a thread once I start building. I am more of a professional lurker on these forums at this point :roll: Hope to start my build soon (within a year). Wife wants a few things made and done around the house, and more importantly trying to evict Sally Mae :evil: I am doing some design modifications and am working through them now. Once I get closer to starting I will post pictures of my modifications and the start of the project.

BTW I actually work in Covington though I live on the south shore. It is a haul but the traffic is definitely much nicer the times I drive :lol: Maybe I will catch you at the wooden boat fest this year.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”