Hello from Georgia!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Amerigo

Hello from Georgia!

Post by Amerigo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm a student at the University of Georgia and I'm currently trying to finish a Tahoe 19. My grandfather started it and it's currently almost finished with paint. He passed away a few years back before he could get around to finish it so now that I've got the time and some more expertise I've decided to go ahead and finish it for him. I'm not a complete novice when it comes to woodworking or boats, because he taught me alot when it comes to woodworking. I'm also the equipment officer on the rowing team for UGA so I know my way around a boat as well. My goal is to get the paint finished, the hole drilled for the prop, and it flipped before I have to go back to school in August. Look for a build thread soon of where I'm at and also definitely gonna need some help with the drilling into the hull!
Devon from Marietta, Georgia

jeffh

Re: Hello from Georgia!

Post by jeffh » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Welcome and good job taking over the project for your grandfather. I took over a boat for the son of a fellow who also passed a few years ago. He had built the hull and discovered he had cancer. The son planned to finish it but he had a pretty bad heart attack and decided to sell it. My oldest daughter graduated from UGA last year and just finished her first year of grad school in Virginia. Now my second daughter is at UGA and a member of the track and cross country teams. I look forward to seeing your progress.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

garrech

Post by garrech » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's great that you had the opportunity to learn from him, and now you get to finish it. I look forward to following your build thread. I love the Tahoe design. It's on my not-so-short list of possible projects one of these days. Good luck and Go Dawgs!

kens

Post by kens » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:00 am

Hi,
Are you doing this in Athens? I get to Athens occasionally, my daughter is UGA alumni and got a job in Athens.
Drilling the shaft hole is more head scratching than anything, it is really overrated after you stand back and look at it all done.
You use the strut as the drill guide, and a piece of shaft as a drill extension.
Just do your head scratching make sure you got the right shaft angle and strut placement, and have at it.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Amerigo

Post by Amerigo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Yeah I actually love the design of the Tahoe too. I'm working on it in Marietta in his shop so unfortunately I'm limited by when I'm home from college. It seemed hard to find how anyone really set up the hole for the shaft but I'm sure I'll post about needing help when I get to it haha. Thanks y'all for the interest and as soon as I get a chance to go back over to the shop I'll upload some pictures of it!
Devon from Marietta, Georgia

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:24 pm

Sorry about your Grand Dad. Best of building on the Tahoe. Do try to make it to the gathering in September at Hales Bar on Nick A Jack Lake. Should be several Tahoe's there.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”