Taking over a 1/2 completed Glen-L 17 Overnighter Sloop

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Milhouse

Taking over a 1/2 completed Glen-L 17 Overnighter Sloop

Postby Milhouse » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:20 am

Hi all,

I just picked up a ~1/2 completed Glen-L 17 Overnighter Sloop; see the attached picture. She is to the point that all hull planking is installed and is ready for fairing the plywood. I look forward to completing her and showing everyone the completed project but before that I will probably need some guidance along the way. The previous owner said that he will help answer my questions but to minimize bugging him too much I figure ill ask you all too for some great advice :D

I have the Glen L Book (rev 3) and read the relevant chapters for this stage of the process.

Anyone have any tips on how to get started with this process? I am worried about keeping the chine lines straight while I fair the epoxy and plywood at the chine joint and the center line. Any tips?

After that I plan on rolling on a coat of West System Epoxy (105/206) and then Fiber glassing with 6 oz cloth and West System Epoxy (105/206) again.

Do you sand between the plain epoxy coat and the fiber glas coat, if so with what grit?

Any recommendations on how big to cut the cloth to keep it manageable, any tips on feathering the edges of the cloth to avoid Bumps?

Thanks!
Attachments
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

vupilot

Re: Taking over a 1/2 completed Glen-L 17 Overnighter Sloop

Postby vupilot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:06 pm

You are on the right track! Plan sounds good. Youll want to clean really well with dish soap after the encapsulation coat of epoxy to remove any amine blush (waxy residue) from the epoxy curing process. I sanded to 220 then did the fiberglass and sand between fill coats also. You can do the entire bottom in two halves of cloth over lapping the middle at the keel and over the sides by a about 4". I liked sanding the edges before doing the other half to help feather the edge before the next piece overlaps. You can then do each side in one piece of cloth and the transom in one piece and overlap them as well.

Milhouse

Re: Taking over a 1/2 completed Glen-L 17 Overnighter Sloop

Postby Milhouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks for the advice @vupilot. Fairing took a lot longer than expected and I finally have rolled on the epoxy encapsulation coat.

I am starting a new thread for my boat build in the sailboat section. I have some questions in the new post that hopefully you can help answer.

Thanks!
I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”