Undecided from Canada

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AHOD

Undecided from Canada

Postby AHOD » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi All,
Scott here in Ontario Canada,
I'm trying to navigate my way through a lot of information both on the Glen-L sit, and the rest of the on-line world.
I've grown up with boats in my life, and my family currently owns a few (16' pontoon, 23' Doral Tara). We have 3 kids (6, 4, and 2) that would certainly love to have a hand in creating/finishing anything to do with a boat! I am by no means an expert woodworker/finisher etc, but I know my way around a workshop.

I am somewhat torn as to which direction to go: building my own, or refinishing something already built.
On 1 hand, creating my own means everything is new and I know it inside and out. On the other, refinishing something that just needs my mark put on it, means we can enjoy it sooner (which with 3 kids is a factor).
So, if I build my own, I really love the look of the Tuffy. It can fit all 5 of us, but is still small enough to bring pretty well anywhere. Having said that it feels like S&G might be "easier" for a first time builder (even though from reading through posts, most argue they're about the same as framed versions). In which case the Dyno Mite looks nice, but at the sacrifice of only seating 1-2, when there's 5 of us. And truthfully, the last thing I want to do is get 1/2 way in to find I'm in way over my head.
Now looking at the refinishing a previously created boat has pros and cons, if I find the right boat, I feel like we could enjoy it this summer and then refinish it over the winter. But I could also run into a lot of rot, replacing boards (most of the woody's I've seen are cedar strip) etc, which I have zero experience with.
And lastly, there's a part of me that says "slow down Tex, you've got 3 kids under 6, limited space and budget - do you really want to do this?!"
There's clearly ups and downs to all options, and I know at the end of the day it's my choice, but feedback would be welcome.

specialk

Re: Undecided from Canada

Postby specialk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:25 am

You have the right idea.. one thing you should add to your thoughts is... building this boat with your children will be a life lesson that will stick with them forever....
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:08 am

Hi and welcome,

Displaced Sudburian here in Raleigh, NC.

I built a ZIP and my wife deemed herself a widow for the 2 years of the build. While it would be wonderful to share the building experience with your children, they might be a tad young at this stage. I promised my wife that I would not build another boat.

That being said, a 1957 15' Century 'Palomino' found it's way into my garage! Not technically a 'build', but having started it, it seems it will consume close to the same time, just lower expenses - perhaps.

I am sure both projects will bring me the same exhilaration and pride of having accomplished my goals.

My ZIP and Century are actually very similar in many ways. The ZIP photo is on Windy Lake outside Subury at our camp.

If you do decide, either way, to build or restore a boat - double whatever time you estimate, 'cause 'Life Happens'.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 am

I wish my stepson had been willing to take part in a build. Maybe, he wouldn't have his problems now.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:41 pm

You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. Feel the same way about my son sometimes.

daknyaz

Postby daknyaz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey Scott,
Your story sound familiar, eventhough I dont have kids yet. Looking to built something that would last long for you and couple of next generations.
I am from Burlington, where are you from?
Vitaly

galamb

Postby galamb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:04 pm

I went through a similar process 7 years back (hard to believe it was that long ago now).

Just myself and the wife but we wanted (minimally) a cuddy to go along with our fishing boat - something we could spend a night or two on.

There is a ton of "used" out there in the size we were looking for 23-26', all with their own inherent problems, and if they were pristine the "cost of" was up near the price of a new one.

I already had a very decent wood shop (used to build furniture as a hobby) and worked part time repairing small outboards and rigging smaller boats (mostly fishing or fish/ski models), so felt comfortable "refurbing" something that maybe had been neglected.

We were at a recycling yard looking at a 24 footer that needed a new transom, floor, interior work and of course a toasted motor when the guy running the place suggested "maybe you would be better off building one if you feel comfortable undertaking (this) as a project".

He directed me to the Glen-L website (plus a couple of others). Best advice I ever got.

Sometimes building "new" is a whole lot easier than "fixing up" something unless it's a simple as a new coat of spar varnish and recovering a couple of seats.

And when you build yourself, within reason (considering safety) you can really "customize" to exactly what you want.

Being in Ontario you have a few very decent sources for materials, including Noah's Boatbuilding (In Etobicoke/Toronto) which has "everything" you could ever need - plus there is enough wood suppliers that can get you just about any boat building wood species you could want.

If Glen-L has "study plans" for the model(s) you are interested in, spend the few bucks ($15 I think) and have a look.

Building your own boat is a great project...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

AHOD

Postby AHOD » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:22 pm

Hey All,
Thanks for the words. I didn't receive a notification that people had replied, or I would have answered sooner! - Gonna check those notification settings!

Anyways, I believe I've decided if I'm going to do this, I'm going to build from scratch. For some of the reasons listed and my own sense of what I could get into if I buy something already built. I'm by no means a master, so some of the problems I could run into with an existing boat feel out of my comfort/ability ranges.

No I'm have to decide if I'm going to build something that will last for more time, or if I start smaller just to get a feel for it, knowing it's not going to fit the family in the future - or at all! haha...

So I'll pose the next question. S&G or Framed? My gut is saying S&G just so the kids can see it "happening" sooner. And yes, I'm aware that the kids are a bit young to be involved. I had to make that clear to the wife that I'm building this because I want to, and if the kids want to help I'd be happy to have it, VS building it and expecting the kids to do a lot of work.

Any advice there?

AHOD

Postby AHOD » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:27 pm

daknyaz wrote:Hey Scott,
Your story sound familiar, eventhough I dont have kids yet. Looking to built something that would last long for you and couple of next generations.
I am from Burlington, where are you from?

Hey daknyaz - I'm surprised to see a fellow Burlingtonian on here! Small world! I guess if you're down by the waterfront and see a Glen-L you'll know who I am haha!

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:44 pm

The consensus seems to be build what you want first time around. Once you find out how much grunt labour is involved you might not want to build another one!

The other consensus seems to be that the difference, labour wise, between S&G vs Framed isn't all that big.

I was taking a break tucked in behind the front of the garage, off to the side of the open garage door. A young couple in the neighborhood walked past on the sidewalk at the end of the drive. She said "What's that?" He said "Just the crazy guy building a boat".

daknyaz

Postby daknyaz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 pm

AHOD wrote:Hey daknyaz - I'm surprised to see a fellow Burlingtonian on here! Small world! I guess if you're down by the waterfront and see a Glen-L you'll know who I am haha!

Scott,
Indeed, the world is really small! Planning to go there on the weekend to sit and read Glen's books on the fresh air) will look for Glen-L)
Vitaly

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”