I want to build a runabout

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

I want to build a runabout

Postby Jclark69 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 pm

New member from Crownsville,MD about 7 miles outside of Annapolis,MD. I want to build one of the classic runabout designs but undecided on design and length. To date I have only ever built one boat which is a 17' sea kayak from a stitch and glue kit in African okume. Its a beautiful boat but is that enough skill to jump into a build like one of the Hankinson runabouts.

Re: I want to build a runabout

Postby Roberta » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Welcome aboard. I would think that any build would prepare you for a more complex boat. Room, tools, and money requirements will be greater. There's a wealth of information and help available here. Best of luck.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:49 am

Do it! More people should build these boats. The books that Glen has written are indispensable.

Postby kens » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:08 am

I think you will be fine.
You would see a lot of similarity, like a set-up level, a strong back to build it on, measure from, DWL, LOA, making lines look smooth & fair,
Go for it. Similar terminology, but a lot bigger.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Postby jamundsen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:14 am

I built the Monte Carlo as a first boat. Sometimes it was a little overwhelming but with all the help on this forum I think you could build anything. You will be a lot more experienced than i was so I say go for it.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Postby galamb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 am

When you think you know what you want to build, pick on that is a little longer and little wider than what you think is "enough".

Nobody ever regretted an extra foot of length or 6" more beam - and in the big picture, a couple extra square feet doesn't cost very much at all - more like a rounding error on the cost of material.

When I was rigging boats more frequently than now (under 21' fish/ski stuff mostly), inevitably we would have guys coming in the summer after buying "the package deal that was a great price" looking to 1) upgrade the motor because they took the pkg motor instead of upgrading at the time or 2) looking to consign or trade that 16 footer because "it's a little tight" and the 17 footer would be "so much better". And probably half that "never came back" ended up parked, unused in the drive or back yard until the significant other started griping about that "thing in the backyard that never gets used".

So absolutely be "honest with yourself" about what you "want AND really need" - if you go with a "I think it will make do model" it may never get finished or you may not use it much when it does. The only danger is you go "way more than you can use" and then it's too expensive to run :)

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”