New Member from Orlando Florida

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rphil84

New Member from Orlando Florida

Post by rphil84 »

Hi guys,

I am a first time boat builder and have been researching for the past few months and just recently joined this forum. I must say, you all are certainly a wealth of knowledge and I have enjoyed reading threads even from 5+ years ago about certain builds or topics.

I have decided to build a Riviera shortened slightly to ~19' 8" and with the open utility like the Monaco supplemental plan. I will admit and am slightly ashamed to say that I am leaning towards having the hull built by a professional builder in Florida, just the frames and planking. I would then outfit everything else, floor, deck, interior, components, finish, etc. Being 31 with a full time career and my wife and I just having out first child 2 weeks ago, I feel like tackling the build from start to finish will take eons and I would like to complete the build in the next two years before kids start getting to age of constant entertaining and monitoring.

I certainly welcome anyone's thoughts on this and/or trying to talk me out of it and tackling myself :) Would also love to hear if anyone else has done this way. I hope I don't lose the respect of all the true craftsman and builders that have done it all themselves!

Attached is a picture of the Cherubini 20 which is the look I am shooting for with the fiber glasses hull (mahogany transom) and decking.
image.jpeg
Cheers!
Ryan Phillips

Adrock1

Re: New Member from Orlando Florida

Post by Adrock1 »

I'm in my thirties and just had my first child this past October. Even with a seven month old I find time to work on the boat. Most weekdays I get home from work 30-60 minutes before the wife gets home with the young'un. If that's all he time I get I take advantage of it.

Yesterday I came home for lunch break, inhaled a bowl of cereal for lunch and spent another 30 min or so working on the boat.

The weekends are the only time I get to really dedicate a few hours to the project. I get up early and get a few hours in while the wife does her chores and the little one plays.

My point to all this is just to say that you can do it. I started my boat at the end of February. I'm airing the frame now and will have it all planked probably before the end of June. Should easily have it flipped this year.

The way I've been able to maintain progress is by taking advantage of every little opportunity I have to work on the boat. It it's only 30 minutes that fine. I try to do something, anything on it each day. I try to reserve a block of at least a few hours at least one a week.

If you dedicate yourself to it you will get it done. My wife and I both work. We have an infant child, a home to maintain etc etc. We're as busy as anyone but we still find time to relax and have some fun now and then and I still manage to carve out some time for a hobby. You can too.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I just reposted in Misc. thread of "Things To Do With Fifteen Minutes". It seems to encourage some people.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Having built my boat before kids and having a 2 year old now I certainly understand why you would want to go that route. It would take me forever to complete a boat while keeping a wife happy and a toddler entertained and out of the ER. My hats off to all those who tackle all at the same time.

The only downside is you do learn a lot of skills along the way that pay off later. However, I am one of those that certainly would pay for a frame kit if they were still available. So having a builder at least frame the build up into something that's then movable for you to finish certainly is an attractive trade off for those with limited free time or that want to speed the process. Either way the end result is your vision of what you want your boat to be so its still going to uniquely yours. The best part is you are here on Glen-L and not at your local fiberglass boat dealer.

dmac

Post by dmac »

Many people have hulls built by professionals and then finish off the rest of the boat themselves. There is no 'right' way to go about it - only what is right for you and your family! If the Boat Gods decide to shine a little light on me one of these days, I will be choosing between a smaller Glen L boat that I will build myself (like Sea Knight or Two Plus) and a larger one (like Islander or Gung Ho) where I will have the hull built by a pro and then finish off the rest of the boat myself. I would suggest that the authenticity of a boat is in the enjoyment it brings to you and your family!

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 »

dmac wrote:Many people have hulls built by professionals and then finish off the rest of the boat themselves. There is no 'right' way to go about it - only what is right for you and your family! If the Boat Gods decide to shine a little light on me one of these days, I will be choosing between a smaller Glen L boat that I will build myself (like Sea Knight or Two Plus) and a larger one (like Islander or Gung Ho) where I will have the hull built by a pro and then finish off the rest of the boat myself. I would suggest that the authenticity of a boat is in the enjoyment it brings to you and your family!

I think your last point is a good one. It's important to understand your goals. If the motivating factor is the end product alone and how you get there is less important than the finished product then paying a pro to do some of the work makes a lot of sense. It will save a ton of time.

On the other hand if the enjoyment come from the building then obviously farming out the work would be counter productive.

For me the build is at least half the point of doing this. I could likely go on craigslist and get a functional boat of conparable capability with little effort and perhaps come out even cheaper than building my own. The process of building the boat is what its all about for me. Having a (hopefully) beautiful boat when I'm done is just the icing on the cake.

rphil84

Post by rphil84 »

All very good points. I am having the hull quoted now from Joest Boats in Welaka, FL and should have the details in a few days. Could come back astronomical which would make the decision for me.

The process of building the boat is what caused me to stumble upon Glen-L about a a year ago. Could have easily bought an old runabout or a new cruiser or ski boat but I have visions of what I ultimately what and know the only way to that is through doing it myself, conversely I also want the end result in a reasonable amount of time with all of life's distractions.

Either way, I'm excited about this process and will share details once it's officially underway. Just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to conversing with you all here in the near future.

Ryan

kens

Post by kens »

If you want to hire the building, I could possibly be interested. I got the time coming up soon.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

rphil84

Post by rphil84 »

Ok thanks. I should know more this week and will PM you.

Ryan

rphil84

Post by rphil84 »

Well, got the quote back from this builder. He estimates between 350-400 hours which would come out to around $29,933-33,410 :lol: :lol: looks like I got my answer and will be doing on my own.

joshuab

Post by joshuab »

rphil84 wrote:Well, got the quote back from this builder. He estimates between 350-400 hours which would come out to around $29,933-33,410 :lol: :lol: looks like I got my answer and will be doing on my own.

$83 an hour? Man I'm in the wrong business :lol:
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”