New member from Alabama

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:01 am

Hi all! Right now I'm still in planning and decision stages, no plans ordered yet. It's a toss up between the Zip and Malahini. (For the first one) So hopefully, I can get up to the Gathering and meet a few people and boats.

In the meantime, I plan to keep reading and looking forward to the build.

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 am

Briand

Welcome.

Where in Alabama?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:13 am

Hi Bill,

Thank you. I'm just a leisurely drive down 280, in Auburn.

Brian

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am

Brian

War Eagle! John Holmes is one of our people in Auburn.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

User avatar
BarnacleMike
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am
Location: North Georgia / Chattanooga Area
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 am

briand wrote:It's a toss up between the Zip and Malahini.


Welcome! My 2¢ on the Zip vs Malahini after riding in other people's boats is that the Zip has more graceful lines, but the Malahini is a better all-around boat. There is enough room on the Malahini that it is quite comfortable for four people, but it has a higher horsepower requirement, too. If you have the space to build it, and the budget for a larger motor, (and if you plan on regularly carrying more than 2 people), I'd recommend the Malahini.

I hope you can make it up to the Gathering, and ride in some of these boats... it'll get you inspired to start your build & help you decide which one to build. G4 is what got me roped in to all this. :)

Welcome!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:47 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Brian

War Eagle! John Holmes is one of our people in Auburn.

Bill

War Eagle!
I didn't know that. Nice to know.

BarnacleMike wrote:
briand wrote:It's a toss up between the Zip and Malahini.


Welcome! My 2¢ on the Zip vs Malahini after riding in other people's boats is that the Zip has more graceful lines, but the Malahini is a better all-around boat. There is enough room on the Malahini that it is quite comfortable for four people, but it has a higher horsepower requirement, too. If you have the space to build it, and the budget for a larger motor, (and if you plan on regularly carrying more than 2 people), I'd recommend the Malahini.

I hope you can make it up to the Gathering, and ride in some of these boats... it'll get you inspired to start your build & help you decide which one to build. G4 is what got me roped in to all this. :)

Welcome!

I don't have room for either, really. :lol: I did manage to build two cedar strip canoe hulls in my living room, but the epoxy needed for these means I'll have to build outside on my driveway. But I'm going to check on a place to build it this afternoon, so maybe I can build inside.

It's unlikely I'll carry more than two people, likely I'll be the only one most of the time. Budget might be an issue, which is why the Zip is getting leaned towards currently. It doesn't appear that top speed changes much between the two boats at the max recommended HP, unless I've missed something.

Thank you.

User avatar
BarnacleMike
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am
Location: North Georgia / Chattanooga Area
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby BarnacleMike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:12 pm

briand wrote:It's unlikely I'll carry more than two people, likely I'll be the only one most of the time. Budget might be an issue, which is why the Zip is getting leaned towards currently. It doesn't appear that top speed changes much between the two boats at the max recommended HP, unless I've missed something.


For 1-2 people, I think the Zip is a superb choice!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

User avatar
vupilot
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 am
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby vupilot » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:03 am

Heck, if its just you and maybe one other and budget is issue, look at the "Utility". I built a Zip and I had a Utility for a while as well. Its small but its a lot of fun for the money and time to build. Had 8hp on it and it was 4 mph slower than my 40hp Zip. Just a thought, take a look. What kind of budget are you trying to stay within? From talking to other Zip builders they have ranged from around 5K-14K depending on new or used motor and trailer and how fancy they went, mine was about in the middle of that number.

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 am

BarnacleMike wrote:
briand wrote:It's unlikely I'll carry more than two people, likely I'll be the only one most of the time. Budget might be an issue, which is why the Zip is getting leaned towards currently. It doesn't appear that top speed changes much between the two boats at the max recommended HP, unless I've missed something.


For 1-2 people, I think the Zip is a superb choice!

Thanks for the vote. It seems pretty well suited for what I want to do.

vupilot wrote:Heck, if its just you and maybe one other and budget is issue, look at the "Utility". I built a Zip and I had a Utility for a while as well. Its small but its a lot of fun for the money and time to build. Had 8hp on it and it was 4 mph slower than my 40hp Zip. Just a thought, take a look. What kind of budget are you trying to stay within? From talking to other Zip builders they have ranged from around 5K-14K depending on new or used motor and trailer and how fancy they went, mine was about in the middle of that number.

It's a possibility, but I have access to a 12ft aluminum boat that would serve the same purpose. My budget isn't that firm, $5K-14K over the course of the build is reasonable. Where I might come up against problems is the big purchase of the motor. I have a big problem when it comes to money. Even if I have it, I don't want to spend it. Which is why the $5K additional for the 85hp vs 40hp makes me wince.

Although, building a utility before the larger boat might not be a bad idea. That aluminum boat has a 7.5hp Evinrude (in need of work) that could be used for testing. But I'd need to figure out where to put it.

User avatar
vupilot
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 am
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby vupilot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:59 am

Build what you really want, just incase you only build one.

User avatar
Andy Garrett
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:44 pm
Location: Nampa, Idaho

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby Andy Garrett » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:37 am

Function aside, the Zip is the most beautiful boat in the catalog in my ever so humble opinion. It is a sports car for the lake--just meant to make you look cool while enjoying the day!
It lacks in utility.
It transmits every bump to your butt.
It is near impossible to gracefully get back into for anyone under 5' 5" even in knee deep water.
It serves best from a dock.

All that said, I love it!

If I had it to do all over again, I would mount my battery up front, and mount the pilot controls in the rear seating position (like the Flying Saucer).
Then, I'd make a fold away rumble seat in the forward cockpit space. That way, I could look like a racer when it was just the wife and I and I could get to the cooler a lot easier! :D

The ride in the back seat of mine is exponentially smoother than the ride up front, regardless of loading.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:51 pm

vupilot wrote:Build what you really want, just incase you only build one.

I don't know enough of what I want yet, which is why I really want to get to the Gathering. The Zip looks like a fine choice, but I don't think I'd be satisfied with just building one. After all, I'm ending up with two canoes after only intending to build the first. I really enjoy the building, it's so far removed from work that it's a great stress reliever.

Side note, I think it was your Zip video that led me to the forum. Looks great.

Andy Garrett wrote:Function aside, the Zip is the most beautiful boat in the catalog in my ever so humble opinion. It is a sports car for the lake--just meant to make you look cool while enjoying the day!
It lacks in utility.
It transmits every bump to your butt.
It is near impossible to gracefully get back into for anyone under 5' 5" even in knee deep water.
It serves best from a dock.

All that said, I love it!

If I had it to do all over again, I would mount my battery up front, and mount the pilot controls in the rear seating position (like the Flying Saucer).
Then, I'd make a fold away rumble seat in the forward cockpit space. That way, I could look like a racer when it was just the wife and I and I could get to the cooler a lot easier! :D

The ride in the back seat of mine is exponentially smoother than the ride up front, regardless of loading.

Thanks. The little things are I'm looking for. I haven't read enough of the forum (I'm trying, really!) to get the details yet.

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Brian

While my build is a lot bigger than a Zip, the technics are pretty much the same. You are welcome to come look. In fact we're planning to put it on the trailer 7/30.You're welcome to come. I'm not ready for the trailer. But, I have to to get it to the Gathering!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

briand
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
Location: Auburn, Al

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby briand » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:13 am

Bill, If I can help, I'd love to come. (And get a sneak peak.)

User avatar
Bill Edmundson
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Contact:

Re: New member from Alabama

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:45 am

Brian

You will certainly be welcome. You would take 280 to Chelsea. Then left on old 280 on to Co. 11. Several miles to Jct. with Co. 52. About 100 yds. past 52 turn left into Ole Weatherly. Follow that over the tracts until you come to a triangle, It has a clock in it. We call it the clock. Bear rt. follow that. When you are going up the hill, we're on the rt. 153 King's Crest Lane, Pelham.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build


Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests