Hello from upstate NY.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Scot2640

Hello from upstate NY.

Postby Scot2640 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 am

Been lurking for a while doing my due diligence before I attempt my zip build. I'm vaguely familiar with boating and watercraft. Our family has a small cottage on a finger lake in upstate NY and we live near Lake Ontario so I've been on and around boats of all types my entire life.

Fairly accomplished amateur woodworker and I have built all the furniture, cabinetry and built ins in our home. Im by no means an expert, it takes me a long time to figure things out and get it right but when my projects are done they look right! I don't build from plans so my slow brain has to figure things out as I go. I have a decent size workshop with most of the tools and machinery necessary to build a boat including about 55 clamps.

I was getting bored and in a rut with my woodworking plus I was running out of places to put new pieces I built. So after doing some reading on various water sports sites that I was looking at relative to my new FX cruiser SVHO waverunner I stumbled about on the prospect of building my own wooden boat.

More reading led me here and my decision to build the zip as my first boat project. I believe this is a great opportunity to combine my passions for wood and water and I'm very excited to get started.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum on questions about woodworking tools, machinery and concepts. I think I can add to the knowledge base on that front. However I'm Also hoping I can lean on this forum as I venture into the unknown of boatbuilding.

Thanks for having me, let the games begin!
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

mrintense

Re: Hello from upstate NY.

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 am

Welcome to the forum Scott,

I think with your skill set and facilities that you will have no problems building on of Glen L's boat designs. Many of us here have little or no wood working experience and many (myself included) do not have a shop. It's all about the desire rather than the ability or prior knowledge (although those do help!).

If you haven't done so already, you should pick up Glen L's "Boatbuilding With Plywood" book as it covers much of the subject and answers many of the initial questions.

Good luck with the Zip and please keep us posted on your project. We love pictures here.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”