New Member from New York

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hally190

New Member from New York

Postby hally190 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:34 am

I've been looking to build one of your boats for over two years now. Lots of family stuff gets in the way plus I need a bigger spot to build the boat than my garage. My neighbor, a big boat enthusiast, says wooden boats are a lot to maintain over fiberglass, which only needs buffing. If a screw hole is not filled right or the encapsulation gets scratched off and water gets in, you get rot. Plus making sure these things don't happen takes a lot of maintenance time. I love to build stuff from wood. But is he right? Is a wooden boat a time waster in maintenance?

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Member from New York

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:39 pm

hally190

We are not having much problem. First, most of us sheath the hull in a layer of light epoxy/fiberglass. We encapsulate with 2-3 coats of epoxy. Second, modern coatings are much better than the old ones.

If you are using in saltwater... Saltwater kills rot. Your friend was once right. Glen-L has builders with over 50 year old boats. I see wooden shrimp boats often that are more than 100 years old.

On another note: Almost all water speed records are wooden boats!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:41 am

Garage kept when not in use and going on 6 years and havent done any more maintenance than a modern boat.

These boats are built with modern methods that eliminate a lot of the maintenance of planked classics such as Chris Crafts and such that your neighbor is likely referring to. Glen L boats are either plywood sheet or cold molded plywood construction fiberglassed with cloth which turns perfectly clear applied with modern two part epoxy then clear coated for UV protection. If you keep it under roof or on a boat lift with a canopy very little maintenance is needed.

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am

I will also agree with Bill and Chris. ..I have been abusing my boat for a year...and the things I have fixed...are my fault...and I have plans for two more boats...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

SunFun

Postby SunFun » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Most fiberglass boats have plenty of wood in them. I have not been able to start building my dream wooden boat yet because I am having to rebuild the wood parts of the fiberglass boat I still owe WAY to much money on. Mine is a well respected quality brand and the glass work is horrible! The wood in my boat rotted due to a few holes that were not properly sealed up, poor glass work, and design issues that allowed water in, but wouldn't let it drain out.

I have absolutely no doubt that any of the boats you see built on this website are built 10x better than any of the mainstream fiberglass boats out there.

Any boat takes maintenance, no matter what type. If you want to build a boat, do not let your neighbor talk you out of it and enjoy the process. If your neighbor is a boat guy, I bet he gets real interested real quick! :D

Below are pictures of my current project that I can't wait to finish so I can start my wood boat.

Scott
Attachments
35 grinding.jpg
18 chipping out.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Sunfun

My experience too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hally190

Postby hally190 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:32 am

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'm in!

Peterdy

Postby Peterdy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:11 am

Hello ,
This is Peter from Australia which is related to recycling business and I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks and thought I would take the plunge and become a member.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”