Utter noob from Chester UK

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Brandlin

Utter noob from Chester UK

Postby Brandlin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:53 am

Hi

I think the title of this post says it all. When it comes to boat building I'm an utter noob, I learned the words "chine" and "sheer" this week and my boating experience is limited to canoeing in scouts years ago, and car ferries.

"What the hell are you doing here then?" I (metaphorically) hear you cry.

Well, I'm a competent woodworker having rebuilt my house and numerous other projects like guitar building, bow building and a range of furniture. I'm looking for a next project and a challenge. I live on a section of the North Wales coast and yet hardly go to the sea and haven't explored the Dee estuary, river Dee or the local canal network.

It seemed like a good match to put the two together and build my own boat!

So after a few happy hours reading various websites, books and YouTube, I'm considering mahogany style runabouts but think that an outboard is more feasible for me than an inboard. My building space consists of part of a garage so I'm limited to an absolute maximum of 16' long and a 7' beam (boat has to exit a single garage door). So, from the Glenn L designs I think that's a "zip" or a "malahini"?

I'm a big unit! 6'4" (1.93m) and around 230lb (100kg). I want something I can be reasonably comfortable in and probably build seats with better support for my rugby-knackered back. Be nice if I didn't look like an adult sat in a kids boat too! Family is just three, but be nice to get four adults in it in some comfort for occasional forays.

Intended use for the boat would be sea going in calm weather for short trips along north wales coast or across to the Wirral as well as genteel days out chugging along the banks of the local rivers and canals from pub to pub!

This will be a spare time build, might take me months to get started. But I'd be happy to hear advice from any builders, particularly anyone local in the uk, or zip/malahini owners/builders...
Last edited by Brandlin on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Utter noob from Chester UK

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 am

Brandlin

Welcome! Many here are on their first boat build. The more experienced here are more than happy to give back the help they have received.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brandlin

Postby Brandlin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks bill.

I'm still researching and debating in my own head what to do and how to do it. I've posted a couple of questions so far, hopefully I'll get some answers.

Alan

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Hello Brandlin,

If I ever get it started, I'll be building a Zip in South Wales.

This is a great forum, with lots of friendly people with great advice & experience.

At 6'4" I thing the Zip will be a little on the small side, (big enough for a Welsh short-arse though) . Also the consensus seems to be that the flat bottom designs are not ideal for coastal use in anything other than dead calm seas. You might want to look at similar sized deeper V designs. Most examples of these have been built with 70s styling, but I'm sure with the right finish & fittings they could be made to a more classic look.

Another thing to bare in mind is that 6'10" beam is the maximum on some of the canals locks; the Llangollen locks in particular. Deeper Vs will roll a bit more on the canals too - although from pub to pub, you might not notice! ;-)

Good luck choosing.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Brandlin

Postby Brandlin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Gary

Thanks for the advice.

Beam width is limited as my exit from the build area is only 7' so with clearances I'll meet the 6'10 limit ok. The malahini is 6'7"

I'm really unsure of "deeper v designs". As I said I know nothing yet about boats. I've narrowed down my choices simply on eye candy and I'm a sucker for a sultry brunette ;-)

Where do you intend using your zip in South Wales?

Alan

gap998

Postby gap998 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Alan,

I take it your access is a standard UK garage door :lol:

To be honest Alan, I'm ignoring some very good advice about building the boat I want from the outset, and I'm planning to sell it immediately so I can move on to the next build. My Zip is sort of a design/learning exercise.

My usage will be similar to yours, the boat/boats will spend most of the time on the canals and rivers or inside the Cardiff bay barage. I live a mile from the Bristol Channel, so I’ll want to do the occasional fair-weather coastal hop or sea trip across to Devon.

I'm planning to make some fairly big mods stern to give more tumble-home for a barrel-back look. The thread below shows what I'm talking about.

Barrel Zip viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27137&p=166557#p166557

I've modelled up the standard hull from the plans to start:-

Virtual Zip viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27879&p=171870#p171870

... and these are my concepts for boats 2 & 3: -

Super Overniter viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27168&p=167027#p167027
Tahoe-verniter viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28540&p=174511#p174511

... and if your feeling really bored, this is my boat related bio!
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27110&p=166307#p166307 (scroll down and there are a couple of pics of Fergal Butler's Malahini in Cardiff bay)
Last edited by gap998 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Brandlin

Postby Brandlin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 am

Thanks gap, great to see and hear others plans.

I have replied in my thread in the power boats section otherwise the discussion was getting spread across two threads :-)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”