New member from Illinois

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Zed1134

New member from Illinois

Postby Zed1134 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello,
My name is Matt from Illinois. I got interested in boat building by pure chance. I am a woodworking hobbyist and was looking at projects others have done when I saw a series of someone building the ZIP, then saw other wood built/mahogany boats people were building and eventually found myself at this website where I was blown away at all the different designs. Seemed a natural progression for what I enjoy doing and the long term project I've been looking for.
Started off by checking out cedar strip canoes (even bought a book with plans) but didn't take long looking through the glen-l catalog to decide on a much larger boat. I have fallen In love with the Monte Carlo and am currently making plans and preparations to get a spot ready to hopefully start the build this winter. Figured go for the biggest boat I can reasonably build, because odds are it'll be the only one I'll ever build and will stay with me forever.
So far from what I've seen, this community seems to be full of good people willing to part with their knowledge and give help to those who need it. I am Glad to be apart of it! Looking forward to picking your brains and annoying you with endless questions.

Thanks in advance,
Matt "Bigfoot" Lemons
"Letting your mind dwell too much on the past will create a prison it can never escape"

vupilot

Re: New member from Illinois

Postby vupilot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am

Welcome Matt. Sounds like a plan. Plenty of help here if you need it.
You may want to consider joining us for the Glen L Gathering. Should have 20-30 boats and a Monte Carlo is supposed to be coming. Come take rides and talk with other builders. Sept 16-18 Hales Bar Marina Guild, TN. There is a section on the forum board with more information.

Zed1134

Re: New member from Illinois

Postby Zed1134 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Much appreciated. I will definitely check out the details about the gathering. I have a couple vacation days left to burn, spending the weekend on the water checking out cool boats and getting some ideas sounds like a lot of fun.
"Letting your mind dwell too much on the past will create a prison it can never escape"

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”