Committed in Michigan

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JimmY

Committed in Michigan

Postby JimmY » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 am

Hi All,

I'm a 50ish engineer in Brighton MI and I've been a long time lurker on this forum and the Glen L site. I appreciate everyone here who takes time to post progress and answer questions. I'm very active in R/C airplanes and have designed and published several plans and even ran a small kitting business on the side. Lately I've taken up woodworking and have started to fill the house with various pieces. My biggest project to date is an Arts and Crafts style desk in my home office.

20160225_152537.jpg

I grew up sailing a small 13' sailboat and picked up that again a few years back. I'm currently sailing a Laser which can be a bit of a challenge for me on windy days. A friend let's me keep it at his home on the water and my family spends a lot of time over there. He is on a private lake, but it connects to the Huron River which has a chain of lakes with restaurants on it and various hangouts. The only catch is to get to the river you have to go through a small culvert. So, wouldn't it be nice to take a cruise down the river for dinner and sight seeing?

Being in Michigan, building in the garage would require heating it and parking outside, which is not going to make the wife happy. So, I'm going to attempt a build in my basement. Now the access to my basement will require a turn at the top. Based on my build space and intended use, I've decided to build a Glen L Squirt. I've marveled at the building skill and creativity on this site, and hope to make you proud.

I really liked the idea of converting the Squirt to jet ski power, but after learning more about these it seemed like it more trouble than it was worth. Also river cruising might be a problem with weeds and all. So, I've settled on doing the Squirt up like a classic mahogany runabout like Bayou Bengal and Art Atkinson (thanks for the emails and information).

With that said, I've taking the first step and I'm the proud new owner of a 1957 Johnson 18hp with electric start (Model FDE-11). My friend and I picked it up this morning and I just got back from firing it up. Once we got the fuel line sorted and gear oil changed it fired right up. We've got a few more things to do to it and we will mount it on a small hydroplane he has for sea trials. The motor is in decent mechanical shape, and if it turns out to be a keeper, I'll tackle a restoration project in the future.

johnson.jpg

The squirt plans are in the mail and I've read and re-read "Boatbuilding with Plywood." I've got a budget in the works and I'm making a shopping list. I plan to buy most of my lumber at LL Johnson in Charlotte MI. They carry marine grade plywood (okume) and genuine mahogany at decent prices.

I'm either committed or should be committed (depending on who you ask).
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BayouBengal

Re: Committed in Michigan

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jimmy.

I think that motor is the perfect motor for the Squirt. I had the 1956 (15hp) mounted on mine and it just needed a little more ump-p-h than that motor provided and I think 3hp more is precisely the extra ump-p-h needed. And as long as the motor has good compression, the rest of it is fairly simple to maintain and work on.

That's a beautiful table that you built and I look forward to seeing the beautiful Squirt you produce.

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:24 am

:D Looks like you will need a new picnic table also!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:29 am

My plans have arrived and the sea trials went well with the motor. It is still back firing when starting it cold, but once it is warmed up it purrs like a kitten. My son took an Auto Tech class in school last year and is itching to tear into the outboard. He's cleaned it up and replaced all the fuel lines. The spark plugs are pretty new and everything else is in pretty good shape. The fuel filter needs a new gasket and I'm planning on ordering a water pump rebuild kit and seals for the lower end just in case (With $9 shipping on a $1.50 gasket, might as well order some spares).

I built a mockup of the squirt with some PVC pipe and various odds and ends laying around the shop to see if I will actually be able to get it out of the basements. The model was 11' 1" and while it was a tight fit, I was able to squeeze it out of the basement. I might have to removed the handrail on the stairs for the finished boat, but I don't think there will be any problem. I'm planning on stretching the squirt, but I might just go to 10' 10" to leave a little wiggle room. I've got a little more prep work to do and I hope to order epoxy, supplies, and wood in the next few weeks.
-Jim

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:41 am

Hey Bayou,

With your 15hp Johnson, did you modify the transom of the squirt at all? On my 18hp the distance from the mounting clamp to the cavitation plate is 18". I think these motors were made before "short shafts" were standardized at 15". I know Art bumped his transom up to 16.5" according to his blog for his vintage Mercury. Just thinking ahead.
-Jim

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:27 am

Yes
301 - Transom Support.jpg

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”