Barrelback questions..

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

SteveV

Barrelback questions..

Postby SteveV » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Hello, I'm Steve from Chandler, AZ. I just received my Barrelback plans and I'm excited to get started (someday)! I've read through some of the boat building literature and have some questions. 1) how do I know what order to start building? I was half expecting (probably foolishly) a set of directions saying #1 do this, #2 do that. So common sense says construct and secure the "building form" first, but my instructions describe "frames", "transom", "stem/breasthook", etc prior to constructing the "building form". Any comments?

Bill Edmundson

Re: Barrelback questions..

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Steve

Welcome.

Below is my link for the Tahoe build it's much the same as the BB. The pictures are much a step by step.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Like Bill suggested, look at similar builds to see how they progressed. Getting the frames ready is a good idea. They will be incorporated into the build form as it is assembled. Ask away as we are here to help.

You can leave some of the deck beams off some of the frames to facilitate incorporating them onto the form. I like to temporarily bolt the beams in place while building the frames. Then they can be removed so you can set the frame on the form. Once the frames are on the form, the beams can be glued and bolted on.

Check out "Roberta's Torpedo" for my building techniques.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

SteveV

Postby SteveV » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Bill and Roberta...Thanks much for the input! Bill..Great photos, I'll use them. Roberta..Thanks, I'm sure I will be asking a lot of Q's! I'll keep reading/learning.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:38 am

Welcome Steve!

I am building a barrel back also. I had the same problem with the lack of step by step instructions with the plans. Like others have said, look in hankenson designs for progress pictures of people that are building the barrelback. The fastening schedule that came with with your plans has an order of things that helps also. The main suggestion I will make is think WAY ahead, plan accordingly, and ask lots of questions.

Have fun, it's a great project.

Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

SteveV

Postby SteveV » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the input. I don't know when I'll start, so i'm trying to get educated before the time arrives.

Thanks again, Steve

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”