New guy intro from Rochester, NY

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rleete

New guy intro from Rochester, NY

Postby rleete » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi all. My name is Roger, and I hail from Western NY; Brighton, if anyone is familiar with the area. I am 55 years old, married with one son. I'm an avid tinkerer, doing woodworking, metalworking, car restoration/repair, etc. If it's in the DIY category, you can bet that I've done it or helped someone else do it. I have a fairly complete woodshop and metal shop, including lathes, mills, saws and sanders. I can weld (although poorly), solder and do wiring. I'm the type who spends 2 days fixing a happy meal toy. I make and give away dozens of custom pens every year.

Every year for the past 5 decades or so, I've been going to a family reunion held on the SW side of Cayuga lake. Lots of relatives in that area. Naturally, there are boats, and every year I get the itch to get one for myself. Not being the type to go buy something when I can make it, I have been doing lots of web research on boats and boatbuilding. Which of course led me here, and to the plans available.

I have enlisted the assistance of my 12 year old son, and I have pretty much decided on the Tubbytug for a first time project. I do have lots of questions, but they will be posted in the appropriate sections as time goes on. Hope to learn a thing or two while I'm here.

Anyone in the surrounding area is welcome to drop in for a chat and to have a look around the shop. Just PM for directions.

Scot2640

Re: New guy intro from Rochester, NY

Postby Scot2640 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Welcome! I'm west of you in Churchville. I have about 60 hours in on my zip. I've never built a boat before either. It's great fun, very challenging, but in a good way.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

rleete

Postby rleete » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Well, after searching for some info, and reading other people's posts, I feel like I'm in way over my head. Not with the Tubbytug, but just in comparison to the level of workmanship around here. It's like I'm a kid drawing wheels on the side of a cardboard box and exclaiming, "Look, I made a car!", while everyone else is building top fuel dragsters.

At any rate, I got the official okay (grudgingly) from the wife. She wants the bathroom remodel finished first. Go figure.

jenko

Postby jenko » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:02 am

only way your in over your head is with the wife, the rest is easy

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 am

All it takes for these boats, it seems, is a bunch of little projects. One step at a time and you can do it. A lot of us had little to no woodworking experience. No, its not like making a box, but if you educate yourself with the books available from Glen-L, particularly "Boatbuilding with Plywood," you will feel much more confident.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum Roger. Looking forward to seeing build photos. Don't worry about over your head. Most of us here were in the same boat (lol) when we started. Many of us started on on fairly large builds as our first choice. The beauty of these is that if you take your time, you will quickly gain the experience you need to deal with the more complicated aspects.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rleete

Postby rleete » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:04 am

Plans ordered last night.

JeffW100

Postby JeffW100 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Roger, it's nice to see another local guy here on the forum. I'm in Pittsford right around the corner from you. Like you I have a master bath build to finish before I can get started. I also want to extend my shop in order to fit the Gentry that I plan to build.I anticipate actually starting the build in the Spring. I have been studying the plans and trying to familiarize myself with boat terms and woodworking, as I have never done much of ether. Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

rleete

Postby rleete » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:35 am

Plans came, and I have been reviewing them. Itching to get started. But the wife said bathroom had to be finished first. What she didn't specify that I had to be the one to do it.

So, I've spent the morning sending out requests for quotes to a bunch of contractors! Gotta be careful when you give an engineer a task and impose restrictions on the completion of it. That's when we get most creative.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”