Bending Sheers on the Topper

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

KarlP

Bending Sheers on the Topper

Postby KarlP » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

Greetings all! I'm a first time boat builder working on the Topper. I'm to the point where I need to attach the inner sheers and am having trouble bending them enough to make complete contact with the breasthook. A big part of the problem is a lack of space in my garage making it impossible to hold the sheers out at a sufficient angle to allow complete contact with the breasthook. To compensate, I plan to make the sheers (inner and outer) from 1/4" laminations of sapele instead of a solid 3/4" piece. I'm hoping the thinner laminations will be sufficiently flexible to make up for the tight quarters in the garage. I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried this and how it worked. Thanks. Karl

Cabron

Re: Bending Sheers on the Topper

Postby Cabron » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Start at the stern and work towards the front. A couple of laminations is the way to go.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 pm

I did laminations for sheers and chines but not familiar with the Topper design. It definitely made it much easier. I like going from stem to stern and with 1/4" I think you might be able to make that bend. If you go stern to stem you may need extra length at the stem for leverage until you get it installed.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 pm

I did my chines and sheers stern to stem and wish I would have done it the other way. It would have saved me some headaches.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Karl

Laminating is actually stronger than solid pieces, if it's good glue. This is because that one weak grain does not go through the whole piece.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ronb172

Postby Ronb172 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Post a lot of pictures as I just ordered plans for the Topper. I think it'll be a fun and simple build.
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

KarlP

Postby KarlP » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's good to know you've had success with the laminations. I've already done the knuckles by bending 3/4 sapele (Topper has multiple knuckles instead of a chine and no frames). It was a chore to bend them. I used steam from a McCulloch steam canister and ratcheting tie-downs to do each one slowly over several days. I'm guessing laminations would have been a lot easier! Karl

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”