New member from New Jersey

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jpvernon

New member from New Jersey

Postby jpvernon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi All,

I live in Sussex County, New Jersey. Sussex County is in the north-west section of NJ where you can see black bear, foxes, cows, horses,....
Just brought plans for the RowMe rowboat. I live in a lake community,..and most lakes here don't allow gas motors.
Lake Hopatcong and Greenwood Lake beign the exception.

My toughest problem so far has been finding 1/4" and 3/8" Marine Plywood!
There is a place in Mendham, NJ that can get AA Douglas Fir,..but the wood and delivery would be expensive.
Yikes,...I suppose there's not much demand for it,..kind is crazy since we have tons of lakes and something called the Atlantic Ocean.
I did find a lumber yard close by that will get me the sizes in AB Douglas Fir Marine Plywood,...and at a reasonable price.
It's being delivered next week.

If this build comes out well,...then we'll see about building a bigger boat.
Anyone else from Sussex County,...I live in Vernon, NJ

DrBryanJ

Re: New member from New Jersey

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:05 am

Hi JP: Welcome to the forum. I live in Pompton Plains. When I started, I was also surprised I couldn't find the plywood in NJ. THe web site lists suppliers here but they either aren't in business any longer or they no longer carry the plywood. I ordered mine from a supplier near Boston. It was expensive. I get all my sapele from Boards and Beams in Fairfield. Be sure to post pics. If you have any interest in seeing the slowest build around, you are welcome to come see mine. Also, Mark from NJ is in Sussex County. His thread is I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction! His build is flying along. You could reach out to him.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

jpvernon

Re: New member from New Jersey

Postby jpvernon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:14 am

Hey thanks Doc!
Pompton Plains,...cool, you're pretty close to me.
In Sussex County anything within an hours drive is close. Ha!

I may hit you up for information about wood from that place in Fairfield.
I'll probably be ordering fasteners, screws and such from Glen-L.
and I'll add pictures as I go.

Thanks for the offer to see your build. I may take you up on that if it isn't a problem.
Right now,..I'd like to at least have the pattern drawn out and cut from the plywood.

Thanks again,
John

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”