New Member from St Peters, MO

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mgriffin

New Member from St Peters, MO

Postby mgriffin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:59 am

Hi all,

So I've been wanting to build a boat since I was a kid. My dad had the popular mechanics in the basement featuring I believe the "Saucy Shingle". Of course talking my parents into building a boat in their single car garage didn't ever go so well. Anyway, I stumbled upon this site in the last few months and have been drooling over all of the builds.

I've managed to convince my wife that building a boat in half of our two car garage is a good idea, although I believe she my think that I am just kidding. ;) I've ordered the zip plans, mainly because I believe that is about the biggest boat I can fit in the garage and I also love the dual cockpit look. Plans should be here today, then it is just a matter of finishing up one more guitar project and cleaning out the garage! Anyone know of a good place to buy plywood near the St. Louis area? :)

Mark

Dave Grason

Re: New Member from St Peters, MO

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:13 am

mgriffin, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to build the Zip. I myself have a Zip. Remember this though. All of the Glen-L designs that call for assembling frames on a building form have the same basic build techniques. Therefore, you can ask anyone on this forum virtually anything and someone will have an answer. Also, you can study the project photos from just about any boat here and you'll learn the lessons you will need to complete your Zip.

Now, as for the Zip design, it is one of the most popular designs that Glen ever created. It is just about a perfect design for a first time builder and for some of the very reasons you mentioned. It has only four frames and the transom. The outboard motor certainly simplifies things over an inboard design. It only needs a 40 hp motor and they are cheap on ebay or Craigslist. I paid $200 for my 1963 Evinrude on ebay and the seller even brought it to me. It's in mint condition. One of the reasons that I bought it was because I really like the George Jetson look that Evinrudes had back in the early 60s. You don't have to be afraid of vintage outboards especially the Johnsons and Evinrudes. Mine is called the "Big Twin" and it has two cylinders and is rock solid. It was such a good design that Johnson/Evinrude continued building it way up into the 1980s. They simply changed the design of the shrouding.

That being said, a LOT of people like the looks of the late 50s and early 60s Mercury engines. VUPilot is one member here that has built a Zip with the Mercury motor. He will likely see this post and answer in. Personally, I think it does come down to what you like to look at because BOTH the Mercury and Johnson/Evinrude motors are excellent.

The Zip design calls for a short shaft motor. If you buy a vintage long shaft Johnson or Evinrude, you can simply remove an extension section in the lower unit and covert it to a short shaft. Rebuild kits are available for EVERYTHING on this engine. If you cannot find a short shaft motor that you like, there is an alternative transom design on the Zip that allows for a long shaft motor.

Another design that is very similar to the Zip but two feet longer is the Malahini. It is also a very popular boat and easy to build for a first time builder. One of our forum members here has built one of those and he's your neighbor in O'Fallon, Mo. His name is Bob Brandenstein and his forum profile can be found here:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7495

Bob is a wealth of information and has an excellent willingness to help. You should send him a Private Message, introduce yourself and start talking boats. If you don't do this, don't worry because Bob is on this forum all the time and so, he'll likely find you.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks Dave. I looked REAL hard at the Malahini, but I just don't think I have the room in the garage to build it. My wife strangely thinks she should still be able to park in the garage. I gave up on parking in the garage when I bought the crew cab.

I'm about 98% sure I'm going to build it for the long shaft motor. I figure it will be easier to cut the transom down than to add on if I decide to change.

Mark

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Hey Mark, Welcome, congrats on the hard part, picking a plan!

I love my Zip and its old 1975 Mercury 40hp. But if I were to do it again the only thing I would do different is build for a long shaft. Its easier to install the steering, and there just arent many short shafts around above 25hp anymore. It took me 6 months to find my motor and it was 5 hours away. Long shaft will give you more options.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Chris, somehow I thought that you had one of the old Kiekhaefer mercury motors. Am i remembering things correctly?

Also, I wanted to ask you when we were at G10 but I didn't get the chance... What are you using for gas tanks?

When we were all at G10, I was planning on selling my Zip to John K but now, he's been forced to back out. So, I decided to throw in and finish the darn thing. I've been thinking about just getting a permanently mounted tank but I don't really know where to mount it. What say you on this subject?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Dave Grason wrote:Chris, somehow I thought that you had one of the old Kiekhaefer mercury motors. Am i remembering things correctly?

Also, I wanted to ask you when we were at G10 but I didn't get the chance... What are you using for gas tanks?

When we were all at G10, I was planning on selling my Zip to John K but now, he's been forced to back out. So, I decided to throw in and finish the darn thing. I've been thinking about just getting a permanently mounted tank but I don't really know where to mount it. What say you on this subject?

Dave, I am also in the process of building a zip and I chose my tank because of the tank style and size that Chris used I purchased a 12 gallon moeler brand fuel tank and mounted it up under the bow tight against frame 5 1/2, it is a nice size fuel tank and well built with included fuel gauge sender I believe Chris mounted his under the bow as well as many of my designs in my zip were a reflection of his build
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 am

Dave, Id like to see yours get finished. No Ive only had the 1975 motor. The 12 gallon tank under the bow has been great. It really helps having the weight up there when you have people in the backseat and with modern heavier motors. With the new super light weight batteries on the market and the forward tank you can really eliminate a lot of weight from the back of the boat.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:23 pm

vupilot wrote: The 12 gallon tank under the bow has been great..

Now THAT is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

Yeah, I'm really wanting to finish it now. This project has been following me around like a lost dog and has stagnated what with the divorce and college. It really has been long enough. It's a shame that any Zip has gotten this far and has not been on the water yet. And it's SOOOOO close!

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:48 am

Well I've managed to get the garage clean to my wifes satisfaction and have built a layout table to work from. After a couple of attempts at cutting out frame 2, I realized that my crappy black and decker jigsaw was not up to the task. A quick trip to the hardware store for a new hitachi saw and the correct blades and I am off again. I have all the pieces for frame 2 cut out and they look pretty good. I decided against the white oak after laying my hands on it at the store. I went with the sapele which I am quite happy with so far. The most dissapointing news so far is that St Charles hardwoods doesn't have and will not order the 1/4 inch marine ply for me. They said they have to order in bundles of 50 sheets, which is a couple more than I really need. :)

Mark

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Mark ,welcome aboard .When setting up your building make it a bit higher so you can crawl under to unbolt it prior to flipping, also measure twice cut once . Happy building and take your time and we all mistakes which can be remedied.
Ian

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Remember! You/We can fix it. I don't remember one, yet, that this group didn't work through.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:41 am

So I've been staring at this sheet for the transom for several days. I've decided to forego cutting the angles on the bottom and the sides and am just going to cut the ply 1/8" over and the frames 1/4" over as suggested on a couple of threads. My question and what is confusing me is, do I have to make the top of the transom oversized as well or just the bottom and sides? The more I've pondered it, the more confused I've gotten. Obviously cutting the top over won't hurt, as I can just cut it own. I was just wondering if it was needed. Also, I was going to setup for a long shaft motor to give me more options down the road. Am I right to assume that I just add 5 inches to the middle of the transom to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Mark

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:54 am

Adding those amounts to the sides and bottom will work out fine. You do not need to add any to the top of the transom. For a long shaft motor, you can invert the cutout (make it go up instead of down) on the pattern for the motor to raise the motor board up for the long shaft clearance. It is helpful to have the motor picked out to ensure that you have enough transom height to get the correct motor height, When in doubt, make it taller. Much easier to trim it down later. Another reason it is helpful to have the motor early in the build is to make sure the motor fits properly into the motor well and that the well bottom is not too high restricting the motor mount.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 am

Mark

If you're going with a fairly new engine, you can probably get a dimensional drawing of the motor. This drawing will show the height of the transom above the cavitation plate.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks Bill and Roberta. I don't have an engine picked out yet. I was really waiting to get a little farther along before I buy one. I'd like to nail it down before I start on the motorwell, but that is a ways off yet. It seems like going with the long shaft for now is the best option. I can always cut it down.

In my daily craigslist search I've found a guy with a 1968 Mercury 500. He wants $200 for it, but it has obviously been sitting outside for a LONG time. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should make him an offer on it or not. I'm a little concerned about availability of parts.

Mark

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”