New Member from St Peters, MO

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BarnacleMike

Re: New Member from St Peters, MO

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:10 am

mgriffin wrote:Well after much gnashing of teeth and sanding, I've epoxied Frame 2 together! I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I think a couple of my notches may be a bit too deep, so I might have to scab a piece on to space it out. I have to say that pox-grip is some thick stuff. I wasn't sure if I needed a knife or a brush to spread that on. :) It feels good to finally have something put together though.

Mark

Congratulations on getting Frame #2 assembled. I've been working on that frame, as well.
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:39 pm

You will love building the Zip!

I have the 13 gallon tank up under the bow. I never have it more than half full and I boat all day with my 40 year old Merc 500.
I have had issues with the fuel pump drawing fuel through a line that long, so every once in a while, I reach under the dash and give the bulb a squeeze. No problems after that.

Long shaft motors look better on the Zip to my eye, and options are certainly greater as said previously.

When you get to the transom, measure carefully and not down the surface of the angled transom. You must measure along the intended vertical path of the shaft. Allow some extra until you right the hull and are ready to hang the motor. Then you can measure, trim the top edge of the transom and test fit. When you're happy, remove the motor, and finish the raw wood edge.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks Andy. I'm currently planning on putting the tank in the front, but I'm still quite a ways from that decision. I've left the transom frames and ply long on all sides at this point, leaving me plenty of room to trim. I have all the pieces for the transom cut and sanded, I just need to suck it up and epoxy some more pieces together. I've been working on getting the stem and breasthook trimmed and ready, then I can just focus on assembly for awhile.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:39 am

Even with my tank, anchors, and a bunch of gear stowed up front, I find that my boat needs more weight there.
My battery is in the back, but that's it.

I have the motor fully trimmed to keep the nose down on launch and I've entertained some sort of auto-deploying trim tabs for years.

But as you say, you have a while to consider that. Study the results of other builders carefully and have fun!
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am

I've been through most of the zip build threads a couple of times at this point. I made it out over the weekend to do a little more work. I have the stem, breasthook and transom knee glued up. I was going to do frame four as well, but broke my countersink bit so I just called that a good stopping point.

Mark

MarkGrif

Postby MarkGrif » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am

Can anyone help me with who to contact about getting my password reset? I can't for the life of me get it to work. It keeps telling me the username/email address doesn't exist. It is for the mgriffin accoutn

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

Mark

Contact Glen-L. I don't have that level of clearance.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

MarkGrif

Postby MarkGrif » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks Bill. I'll try that. I guess I can just keep using this account just as easily.

An update on the zip. I have frames 2 and four glues up as well as the stem, breasthook and transom. Just need to get 5 1/2 done and I will start coating the frames. I've been pretty stalled working on a "project car" for my two 15 year olds.

Mark

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”