New Member from St Peters, MO

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Roberta

Re: New Member from St Peters, MO

Postby Roberta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Yup! Going tall is the best plan and there are many more long shaft motors out there. But like you say, you can trim it down. I had a 1969 Merc 500 on my Zip. There are still some parts out there. Ebay is a good source. I would see how it rums, if possible, and offer 50 bucks.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Roberta wrote:Yup! ... I would see how it rums,

Also, see if it will wiskey, tequila or gin. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

rleete

Postby rleete » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 am

There's always one in the group...

Although it's usually me!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:27 am

Dave!! You need to get out more!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D :wink:

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Mark,
I am sorry I missed your earlier posts. I live in O' Fallon, MO and built a Malahini in my two car garage. You can build it in one half and your wife can use the other. Just be prepared to dust and clean your wife's car, especially when you get to sanding. I keep my boat at the Lake of the Ozarks so it is not around for inspection, if you would be interested.
There is another Zip builder in St. Charles named Jack Hartwig. He is not on this forum, but he is a member of the Mississippi Valley ACBS. You might make contact via that web site.
Regarding lumber. The best quality and price for hardwood is Schaller Lumber in South County. I used white oak and African mahogany from them and was very pleased with the quality. You can also order longer pieces if you need it. I ordered a 13' piece for the keel and was able to order 15" wide mahogany for my cover boards.
Plywood is a bit of a challenge. St. Charles and Menard's have DF 1/2 and 3/4. I ordered all my Meranti 1/4, 3/8, and 3/4 from Homestead in Ohio. I ordered it all at once to save on shipping.
I think you might be able to find 1/4" and 3/8" marine fir at Wick's Aircraft supply in Highland IL. I needed 3/8" for my gussets and found it there. It is less than an hour drive, so that might be an option. Call to make sure their hours and supply.

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:44 am

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I've gotten the wood so far at St Charles Lumber. I'm not sure if it is comparable in price to Schaller, but it is just down the street from me so convenience won out. I had originally planned to use the white oak for the frames, but after I got my hands on it I decided I would spend the extra money for the sapele. I liked the weight and look of it, and it just looked like it would be easier to work with. They also had the 3/4 marine ply. The 1/4 is another story. They won't order it unless I buy a whole bundle of 50 sheets. I don't need quite that much. :D I guess I'm going to either end up on a road trip, or order it and pay shipping.

I bet a 16 foot malahini on Lake of the Ozarks is quite the ride! ;)

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 am

I didn't name it Tossin' and Turnin' for nothing. :lol: We definitely avoid the main channel on busy weekends.

Yes, Sapele would be nicer to work with, for sure.
After the fact, I also compared pricing if I had used mahogany instead of oak, and the difference is very small in the whole scheme of things.
Did you check with Menards to see if they could order 1/4" marine ply?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:36 am

The wood required to build the Zip is very minimal. It is a very nice boat, so if you plan on keeping it a while, invest in better wood and plywood as well as good glue and fasteners.

Roberta :D

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:27 am

Bob
I haven't checked with Menards. That Shaller lumber lists a 1/4 Meranti exterior grade on their website, but not much in the way of details. I might have to call down there and ask some questions.

Roberta,
I'm trying not toe the line between going cheap and not breaking the bank. But I do want to build it to last, so I'm going with the sapele, pox-grip, and brass fasteners. I ended up finding a five ply baltic birch in 1/4 in, and that is what I am going to go with for the gussets.

Mark

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 am

I don't think there's anything inferior about white oak other than the weight. I used it for my frames. The grain patterns in quarter sawn can be very attractive. It all depends on the look you are going for.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:56 am

Mark

White Oak is very good. As Matt said it is heavy. It is very strong and hard. You must predrill all fasteners.

Sapele or African Mahogany are lighter and easy to work.

Southern Yellow pine is another good option. It works well, holds fasteners, and will take a bend.

In the scheme of things the frame cost is nothing.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:10 pm

I really liked the look of the white oak, but the weight of it turned me off. Also what they had at St Charles hardwoods looked very roughly sawn, so it would have been more work in that regard. I guess not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

In the end, I think I figured it would be less than $100 difference for the frames so I just went with the sapele.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Mark

Good choice.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm planning on going with sapele for coamings, windshield frame, and other pieces that will be finished bright. For me any wood is "easy" to work with as long as my tools are sharp. The techniques are identical.

mgriffin

Postby mgriffin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 am

Well after much gnashing of teeth and sanding, I've epoxied Frame 2 together! I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I think a couple of my notches may be a bit too deep, so I might have to scab a piece on to space it out. I have to say that pox-grip is some thick stuff. I wasn't sure if I needed a knife or a brush to spread that on. :) It feels good to finally have something put together though.

Mark

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”