New member creating YouTube Channel

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

MWBoats

New member creating YouTube Channel

Postby MWBoats » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Hello, my name is Chad Donegan. I'm a new member to the Glen-L forum and the world of boat building. I ran a custom furniture shop for about 4 years that focused in modern industrial and modern rustic furniture design. Anything from coffee tables to dining tables, we made it. I have now decide to shut my shop down to focus on a new venture, boat building.

I have been doing my homework, reading books, and forums, but the one thing that I can't seem to find is quality informational videos. There are plenty of time lapse videos and small instructional videos here and there on certain skills, but nothing truly complete from start to finish.

With this discovery I have decided to document the entire process from start to finish and start my own YouTube channel. With inspirations such as the Wood Whisperer, I want to help bring people to understand and feel more comfortable with building their own boat, just as Marc with WW has enabled people to feel more comfortable with wood working. My goal is to do this with great quality and

Now obviously this will be my first build, but aren't most of the builds people are doing their first, so my goal is not to act as an expert, but act as a sounding board and help people learn ALONG with me. I plan on building a Hakinson 19' Barrelback runabout.

What I would like to do first and foremost is compile a list of topics that people struggle with the most.

What are build issues that you think would have greatly benefited with watching someone else take on prior to you diving into it?

What are some topics that you would like to see discuss that might have been easier to watch on a video versus reading through miles and miles of forum discussions.

I look forward to hearing from you builders that have just started your dream project and those of you who may be on your third or fourth boat.

Regards,

Chad Donegan

Andy Garrett

Re: New member creating YouTube Channel

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Very interesting.
I had issues setting the correct bend in my chine as it turned into the stem.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

DSR

Postby DSR » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Chad, welcome
I like the idea a lot!
I would like to see would be something along the lines of doing a review of the popular boat-building woods and plys that are on the market and the attributes / nuances of these woods as they pertain to boat-building specifically.
I'm just getting to the stage of buying the material for my first build and I was surprised by the many species that can do the job and almost as many opinions on what works best. I've spent a lot of time researching what I am going to use and I've changed my mind more than once upon finding more info on what is available.

Thanks Chad
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 pm

I have been documenting my build with monthly update videos on YouTube for the last 2yrs. Around 30 videos now, if you search "building the zip" you will find them.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

MWBoats

Postby MWBoats » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Thank you so far for everyone's responses. This will be great as we break down topics and processes throughout the build.

Joshuab, your videos are great and I'm glad to see the progress you've been making.

In the videos we plan on producing we will be breaking our into topics such as: lumber selection, framing, transoms construction, fairing techniques, 5200 bottoms, shopping for hardware, etc. And then withing each of these categories we will discuss tools required, different philosophies, troubleshooting, etc.

Are goal is to not just show different points in the build, but give a more detail perspective of things to be aware while building your boat.

Thanks,

Chad

DSR

Postby DSR » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Josh.
I have been going through your videos also and the job your doing on both the Zip and documenting the build on video are both amazing! If mine turns out even close to as nice as your Zip, I'd almost be afraid to put it in the water...... almost.... :D
And Chad, I may have misunderstood your intent here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, about the purpose of your idea.

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Mhurst

Postby Mhurst » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:04 pm

I love this idea! I have been following Josh's build on youtube since the beginning. I'm always looking for wooden boat builds on youtube. Has there been any progress on creating your channel??

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:23 am

I've been thinking about doing something along these lines in relation to applying paint and clearcoat. A poor or even average paint/finish can taint an otherwise really well designed and built boat, yet, obtaining a good finish can sometimes be like searching for the holy grail.

I really knew next to nothing about how to get a high grade finish when I started building my first boat. No problem, right, I'll just read up on how to do it. Well this is not so easy to do as I found so much of the literature and info regarding getting a good finish confusing, contradictory, and in many cases, more driven to sell paint and products than actually help obtain a high grade finish.

I'm finishing up on my second boat now and while I'm no expert, I've picked up lots of tips, tricks, and info that I'd like to incorporate into a simple step-by-step process that the novice boat builder could follow to obtain a high grade finish without going through all the headaches of trial and error that many of us go through in the finish process. I've thought about this many times in the hours of idle thought while sanding away on my boat; now maybe you've given me the motivation to get off my butt and get it done.

Seems we should be able to set up a centralized place on the forum to catalog and store helpful videos according to subject matter.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”