New Member From Windsor, Connecticut

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

boatdave

New Member From Windsor, Connecticut

Postby boatdave » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Hello Boat Builders,

I reside in Windsor, Connecticut and have a keen interest in human powered watercraft, more specifically, boats that create propulsive force generated with bicycle type pedal power. Philip Thiel's designs have inspired me and guide my efforts. I have built a wide variety of home-made watercraft most of which have used propellers as the propulsive device. My initial creations were crude at best yet effective enough to stoke my desire to learn more. I started off with no formal training or knowledge and have gradually increased my understanding of boats and how they should be built. My initial projects used materials scavenged from construction site dumpsters and cast away bicycle parts. Over the years I began experimenting with inexpensive lumber, polyester resin, and fiberglass seaming tape. Now I'm using epoxy, fiberglass cloth, and commercially available hardware. A kit boat is in my future and there are so many great designs to choose from! For years now I've been looking at these boats with great admiration at The Wooden Boat Show in Mystic, Connecticut. I'm looking forward to the group's encouragement and advice.

Dave
Attachments
knottygurl.jpg
3rd Boat "Knotty Gurl" Dual Lauan plywood Louisiana Pirogues powered by a set of Sea-Cycle propeller drives.
Little Willie.JPG
2nd Boat "Little Willie" Lauan plywood & fiberglass pontoons with four pedal stations powering two propellers
The Big Johnson.JPG
1st Boat "The Big Johnson" steel barrel pontoons with exercise bike powered propeller.

chugalug

Re: New Member From Windsor, Connecticut

Postby chugalug » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:03 pm

:D I see by your photos that each boat is missing somethun.one of these perhaps
IMG_0759.JPG
:lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 pm

boatdave wrote: I started off with no formal training or knowledge...

That's OK. Neither did Noah.

I love your pedal powered boats. They just look like a LOT of fun! Welcome to the forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

aspags88

Postby aspags88 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. How is the boat show down in Mystic? I tried to convince the wife to go down last year but was unsuccessful. I've only just gotten started with building boats and had absolutely no experience going into it. So far it's been a blast and the community here is great. Looking forward to meeting more boat builders from the area

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”