New Member from TN.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

RussellF

New Member from TN.

Postby RussellF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:01 am

Newish member, former Lurker from Western Tennessee, on the Tennessee river north of Savannah(that gets ya close but not too close, LOL). I'm in the very early stages of a 20.5' Aluminum Chinook build. I received my plans a month ago, and I've transferred the frame and stem patterns to Ram Board for full width patterns. I'm planning on ordering my aluminum angle for the frames in a few days. This is going to be a slow build but I know i'll enjoy it. I already have most the tools (welders, heavy spoolgun, saws, etc..) so most my cost will be in materials and consumables. I've been stock piling flap disk and wire spools for months :mrgreen: !

Once I make some real progress i'll start a build post.

Russell

Dave Grason

Re: New Member from TN.

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 am

Welcome to the forum, Russell. There are a lot of Glen-L folks here in Tennessee as well as from all over the Southern US.

I'm curious about how you will use your Chinook when you've completed it. I ask because anytime I go out on a river here in our neck of the woods, I'm always amazed at all the people in fishing boats - some sort of bass boat usually. I've always thought that I would like to have a design similar to the Chinook so that I could get a little protection from rain, cold or wind and still enjoy the fishing.

From Savannah, I know you could easily cover both Pickwick lake and Kentucky lake. But both those lakes can really get some BIG water up if the weather decides to turn narly.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

RussellF

Postby RussellF » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks Dave. I plan on mainly cruising the rivers and lakes, doing some fishing, and possibly pulling a tube or skier. I went with the Chinook because of the cabin, and it should handle less than ideal conditions pretty well if I get caught out in a storm. I also look forward to having the cuddy cabin so I can stay overnight... my goal is to drive it up to the gathering in a few years when I get done. I may even pull it down to the gulf someday. I've been studying the plans and digging through the forums, I'm pretty excited to start. My plan is 2-3 years to spread out the cost, but it's not in stone.

Russell

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:29 pm

You and your boat will be MORE than welcome at any Gathering. I look forward to seeing it because we have yet to have any aluminum builds arrive.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”