New Member from Georgia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jim B.

New Member from Georgia

Postby Jim B. » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 am

Hello everyone, new member from Georgia checking in. I just want to say how impressed I am with the craftsmanship on this forum. I don't have immediate plans to build, I've been told that boat building goes on the list right after the roof, workshop, kitchen, and backyard landscaping. But a man can dream!

My day job is electrical engineering, and I've been toying with woodworking some in my spare time. Though I'm not good at yet it and only have a carport to practice in. But I like the challenge.

I am most interested in the Tahoe plans, I love the lines of that boat. And I was floored by the Yon'e 22 custom that I saw on youtube. I wish I could get ahold of some sketches from that build.

I am curious though about the Zip. It seems to be the most popular build by far. Is there any reason for that? Low material bill, simple construction, etc?

Roberta

Re: New Member from Georgia

Postby Roberta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:25 am

Welcome aboard!!! The Zip is very popular. It is a great first build for anyone looking for a great 2 plus 2 boat that is both economical and easy to build. It is a great canvas for those looking to give it a classic woody boat look.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:56 am

And it has spritely performance. I call it the little British sports car of the lake. (I once joked around about painting my Zip British Racing Green with a yellow stripe up the middle so that it would look like a Lotus. LOL)

The plans call for a 40hp motor and these are not all that expensive. In fact, I found my used Evinrude 40 Big Twin for my Zip for $200 on ebay a few years back.

Another advantage to the Zip design is that it gives the builder all the experience he/she will need to step up to a larger design. This is because of the plank/plywood on frame construction. By the time the builder has finished his/her Zip, all the needed skills will have been aquired for future builds that are more complicated.

All in all, the Zip is the perfect compromise between being a simple first time project, speed and performance and having a boat that folks will really use when completed.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Jim!!! Howdy from a fellow Georgian (east of Athens)! Whereabouts are you from? I have a Tahoe 23 I'm working on. Beware: it's an addiction!

Jim B.

Postby Jim B. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 am

Brad,
I'm in Atlanta on the North side. I've seen your build log and that is a beautiful boat. I get nervous when I see pictures of framing and planking, my confidence in my woodworking skills is not very high!

If you don't mind me asking, how big of a shop does it take to house a Tahoe 23 build? I'm current;y drawing up plans for a new shop and I don't want to build it to small!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 am

I would build a shop that provides about 4 feet in all directions for work plus room for bench space, tools, and storage. Put in reinforcement for chain falls for lifting and flipping. Ventilation for dust and painting.

Roberta :)
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:47 am

If you're going to store the boat in there or put it on the trailer at the flip then finish it, You'll need to consider the trailer tongue length.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jim B.

Postby Jim B. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36 am

I hadn't even thought about the added tongue length, Bill. Having to bungee the door shut around a trailer would absolutely sounds like something I'd do...

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:53 am

Jim

I just measured the tongue on the Tahoe trailer. It is 6 feet from the bow to the ball. Your engine will end up pretty much over the wheels in order to get a 10% tongue weight.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:33 pm

My shop is 30'x 30'. The Tahoe23 pretty much takes up half of it, and I only have about 2' of space between the swim deck and the back wall. I had to drill a hole in the back wall to get the prop shaft in. I have a work bench at the bow end, with just enough room to walk between the bow and bench. It's not on a trailer yet, and I'm sure the tongue would stick through the front wall. I'd recommend a 40' long shop. As a side note, all of my mahogany came from Suwanee Lumber Company in Suwanee.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”