new member near Raleigh NC

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

deanherr

new member near Raleigh NC

Postby deanherr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am

hey ho, have built a number of small boat such as Lutra Laker, Tammie Norrie, a Michalak Ladybug, strip planked Bayhawk and more. I have greatly narrowed down the next build to the Sherwood Queen, others in the running were the Selway Fisher Rufus 17 ,and Devlin's Godzilli 17. The queen gives me 95 percent of what I'm looking for in a soon to be grandpa boat that I can work on as a two year project while waiting to retire. Wondering if I can put a fan tail type stern on the queen and if It would do better with a high torque lower unit pontoon type 10hp with pontoon type prop. thanks, Dean

Bill Edmundson

Re: new member near Raleigh NC

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am

Dean

I don't see any reason not to do it fantail. It's pretty much a hull speed boat. A high torque 10 would be plenty. It will reach hull speed on even less HP.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

deanherr

Postby deanherr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks, Bill, I think that the fan tail for the queen will be nothing more then a (cool looking) facade that can be made out of 5 or 6mm ply, I have other plans that show how to do this so I might have a go at it. I got a short shaft 9.9 hp Tahatsu now that is all stock so will need to figure out all the figuring for a wheel house with motor control up there (have not done any of that yet in any boat). The supprot i see here on this group and from Glen-L is one of the reasons factored into building the queen. See y'all over the next year or two with build pictures as she gets ago-in. Dean

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:31 pm

I've been a huge fan of Devlin's stitch and glue boats for a long time.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm

:D Would that fantail look similar to"Florida Boy's Tug-a-long?or are you looking for planing hull instead of stitch and glue tugboat.? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

deanherr

Postby deanherr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:07 am

woe is me for late replies guys - any fantail would be purely decorative. I'm actually looking at just leaving the hull plans alone for once because I'll have plenty of playing around once she's turned over. Nope - i'm going slow no planning hull here. Dean About to start a new thread somewhere else on this 4x10 foot sheet ply...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”