New member from South Africa

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kobus

New member from South Africa

Postby kobus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:27 am

I am from Mossel Bay, Western Cape, South Africa.
I am 62 years young and nearing my retirement date.
My hobbies are boats (specially interested in houseboats) and 4X4 driving with my 4X4 fully off-road trailer through the back roads of Africa.
I am an offshore Inspector and are two weeks at sea and 2 weeks resting time at home. I am a still fit and very active.
My goal is to build a Pontoon Houseboat which will keep me busy during my retirement. I have already all the tools to build the houseboat and on the moment I am busy with the design and drawings as per south Africa Standards which is SANS (ISO) and Marinas Standards.
I must say it is difficult to get information in South Africa because Pontoon Houseboats are not popular here, and honestly I can not see the reason. Well I am struggling to get all the information, but this is part of the fun to build my own houseboat.

Kobus

ian bell

Re: New member from South Africa

Postby ian bell » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Welcome aboard Kobus . There is a section on houseboat plans on the Glen-l website .You will get plenty of help on the forum and when you start building post plenty of photo's.
Ian

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Welcome! I wish you the best! Boat building is a rather obsessive project in the most wonderful way!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Kobus

Welcome!

How big of a house boat are you looking to build? I have the plans for a small Glen-L trailer. the cabin should construct in a similar way. I've built a few boats. The pontoons should not be a problem. Should be a fun build.

I'll be watching.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ryan1

Postby ryan1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 am

Welcome to the community, am new here too, lets enjoy.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 pm

welcome to the forum Kobus. Building a houseboat, or rather the desire to is what originally got me to the Glen L site and this forum. I decided to build a cabin cruiser instead, but houseboats are cool too! Good luck and like other's have said, pleas post photos of your progress. We'll be here to encourage you .
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kobus

I Feel Already Welcome

Postby kobus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:53 am

Hi all
Thanks for the welcoming. From only browse through, I new I am going to enjoy to share all my ideas and photos with all of you.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”