Hello from Hertfordshire, UK

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

sproggy

Hello from Hertfordshire, UK

Postby sproggy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 am

Hello. I've been lurking around here for a few months, pondering what to build. Of course what I really want is an Aquarama but I've given up waiting for the lottery win.... I think I've settled on a Zip. I'd like something bigger (and inboard) but I have a 15'7" x 15'3" build space that also houses motorcycles, bicycles and sundry 'stuff' so I reckon I'm pushing my luck even with a Zip as far as build space is concerned (bow into the far back corner, diagonally but still leaving just enough space to squeeze the bikes through between the transom and the other side wall). Just need to finish off a Lambretta restoration and then I'll clear things out to make a boat space.

Any thoughts on whether a Zip can be built in the space I have would be welcome!

gap998

Re: Hello from Hertfordshire, UK

Postby gap998 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Welcome Sproggy,

I'm going to be building a Zip here in Welsh Wales (once I get my house sorted for the boss) - Like you Aquarama/Tritone was my inspiration. I'll be working in a single garage about 10' wide but it is 18' long and everything else is going out in the rain! :lol:

The Zip is a good one to learn on as there're lots of examples out there & good support.

If you haven't already, check out Joshua Burks's 'Building the Zip' videos on Youtube.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 am

10' wide is a pretty generous single garage! Common sense (as far as space was concerned) was telling me to go for a Flying Saucer or Tuffy but the idea is that whatever I build will be ready once my 1 year old daughter is old enough to safely go out in this sort of boat and a Zip is better, I think, for family days out. Anyway, I prefer the look of the Zip to the other two. I've toyed with the idea of modifying the Zip with the jet drive arrangement of the Dyno Jet using a 4-stroke PWC engine/drive unit as I'm not a huge fan of outboards (bad experiences in the past) but that's just an idle thought at the moment.

It's good that there are other Brits on the forum as things are a bit different over here aren't they? Different timber availability and even names, different terminology - plenty of things to query. Oh, and that antiquated measurement system they use over in the US..... :? Fortunately I'm just about antiquated enough myself to be comfortable using it :lol: Even if all the materials we buy are in metric sizes.

I have already found Joshua Burks' videos - idle web browsing looking at Zips while I should have been working! Not watched many of them yet, though. As you say, there are so many blogs and videos of Zip builds around that it does seem like a good place to start with expereince and expertise fairly easy to come by. I look forward to being able to compare notes with you as we progress.

Ian

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 am

Great excitement - my copy of 'Boatbuilding with Plywood' has just turned up from the States!

Cyclone

Postby Cyclone » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 am

Hi,

I am building boat that just fits in my garage. Prior to starting the boat I put up a small shed in the back of my house and moved everything I could out of the garage to the shed. Its cold in the winter where I live in Canada, so one advantage of the small garage I have is that it is easy to heat in the winter when I am using epoxy. :)

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:33 am

We think it gets cold in the winter here - that's nothing to what you guys call cold, though!

My garage is wooden and not really insulated. I can heat it with a wood burning stove but the heat is hard to control so probably not good for using epoxy although it's OK to work in. I doubt I'll get much epoxying done before the spring anyway - before that I'll be preparing the space, ordering plans, finding a timber supplier etc.

If it was up to me I'd have a couple more sheds in the garden but where we live there are ridiculously strict rules about that sort of thing. I'd never get permission for the existing garage if I did it now but it was built before they implemented the rules - I need to be happy with the space I have.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:32 am

sproggy wrote:10' wide is a pretty generous single garage!

Hi Ian,

Yeah - It's built on the side of my end-terrace. It's about 8 1/2' at the front tapering up to about 13' at the rear. Iv'e put 3 metre bi-fold doors at the rear so you can drive right through; I may put my build on a movable frame so I can roll it into the garden for more space when the weather's good (so never in Wales :lol: ). I'm hoping to start in the spring... but that's what I said last spring! :lol:

Just a heads up, Inland revenue may catch your plans for VAT and if so the carrier will also levy an £8 admin charge. You may be lucky, as other UK builders haven't had this problem, but I was caught on my plans and another item that I bought on ebay.

Also, you've probably heard this already, but I thought I'd point it out, while the Zip will be fine for our lakes, canals & rivers, it'll struggle with it's flat bottom on our choppy coasts & estuaries.

Good luck & I'm sure we'll swap sources & idea as we go.
Gary

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 am

Yes, I've been hit by the customs charges on several other things I've ordered from the US. Just part of the cost of buying stuff from outside the EU and cause for minor celebration when you 'get away with it' and don't get charged!

I've recently been pondering what exactly I'll use the boat for or, more accurately, where I'll use it - what's the point of building a boat that you can't use?! Most of our rivers and canals are speed-limited - 8 knots on the Thames and 4mph on the entire canal network. There's not a lot of joy in using a planing boat at those speeds. Which leaves lakes (which can get choppy) and estuaries (even more choppy). Neither of these are environments where a Zip will excel because of its fairly flat bottom so I'm wondering whether, in choosing the boat that I like the most, I might end up with one that I can't actually use in many places.

I wonder whether a Celerity (just 2" longer than the Zip but a whole foot wider and a significant 225lb heavier!) might cope better with rougher water with its much deeper V and be more flexible in its use as a result. I would have to build it in a mahogany runabout style as I find it a bit utilitarian in its standard form but that's the great thing about building your own boat isn't it?

I reckon actually choosing which boat to build has to be one of the hardest parts of the whole process!

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Celerity would be a much more versatile boat for Blighty and I recon it wouldn't take much to put a bit of tumblehome above the waterline on the stern-most 2 frames a-la Zip.

I know what you mean about trying to chose a design; for me the Zip is going to be a learning build for a bigger boat (check my other posts for my long term plans). I keep flip-flopping between designs. I love canal-boating so a flat bottom is shallow & nice and stable, but I also live on the Bristol Channel so there's lots of breathtaking coastline to explore. Some of the more seaworthy designs are too beamy for a lot of the canal system... Think I need to find space for two boats... then I'll want a runabout & cruiser for each, so that's 4... Going to need a rollover on the Euromillions :lol:
Gary

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 am

Then again, some days even the Bristol Channel looks like this! :lol:

River Neath Estuary.jpg
Gary

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:37 am

Welcome, Ian! I too loved the Riva, and went with a Tahoe 23 for that very reason. Can you build a bigger shop??? LOL. When you get to shiny stuff, look up Davey & Company in the UK if you don't already know about them. It may be a good local source for shiny stuff.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the tip, Brad - not heard of Davey & Company before. Oooohhhh, shiny stuff...... Definitely worth adding to the list for further down the build road.

Ian

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”