Hello from Pittsburgh

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Magu

Hello from Pittsburgh

Postby Magu » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Hello all! I'm a mechanical engineer living along the Ohio River just a few minutes outside of Pittsburgh. I have long had a soft spot for the classic runabouts and am looking to build a zip to take out on the rivers.

I have read many build threads so far, and look forward to plagiarizing many more ideas. That being said, if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy wood locally I would love to know.

Magu

vupilot

Re: Hello from Pittsburgh

Postby vupilot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:57 am

Welcome,

Try this link for proper hardwoods and plywood in your area. https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber ... rs.html#PA

There are places in Ohio too.

Good luck, if you have to mail order there are several good options as well, just ask.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:28 am

Magu

Welcome. We've taken many Zips on our Gathering lunch run to Chattanooga on the Tenn. River. It should do well for you.

Lots of us get wood from Homestead. http://www.marine-plywood.us/

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Magu

Postby Magu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you both for the welcome, I will check out those suppliers. It's a shame I don't go to Columbus anymore for work, the company could have sponsored wood runs

Tom J

Postby Tom J » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 am

Hello Magu.
I've just joined the forum and saw that your from the burgh. Id be interested to know if you found any lumber locally as I am also finding it difficult to locate boat building lumber in the area. I will likely take a trip to Ohio to buy what I need in the not too distant future. If you're at all interested in getting in touch, please feel free to do so, I'd be more than willing to share a beer with you and discuss how much I don't know about building a boat.
Tom J

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”