Hello to all from Wellington, New Zealand

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

fcooks

Hello to all from Wellington, New Zealand

Postby fcooks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi to all...Fritz is my name and I have opted to build the little Zip boat from the plans. I have the plans but was wondering if anyone out there has the metric version :-D ...I know its not a big job but does save time in the planning and setup process.
I chose the little Zip to have a small boat to use as a tender and also get the skills i need to move on to a bigger boat later on. (Space is also an issue ;-)

It's good to know that there are so many people that have built this little boat. its my first boat build and I am quite excited about it !

hoodman

Re: Hello to all from Wellington, New Zealand

Postby hoodman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am

I don't think there is a metric version. I would suggest buying a tape with metric on one side and imperial on the other. Also buy a 12 inch ruler that also has metric on it to take dimensions from the scale drawings. You could also convert all the measurement notations on the drawing and just mark them in pencil in metric.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 am

I think you will find it easier in the long run to 'learn' imperial measurements, although in NZ maybe you can't get combination metric/imperial rulers and tape measures as easily as we can in the UK?

Despite me being officially educated in metric units, my Dad grew up with imperial and that's what he and I used on all the projects we did together so I'm fairly comfortable with that system. Although you and I will need to order all materials in metric - metric timber sizes, metric screw and nail lengths, metric volumes of epoxy and paint etc - I intend to actually do the build retaining and referring to the imperial measurements simply because it saves the grief of converting every single measurement. You'll get used to it ;-)

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm

I have built the Renegade and used a metric/imperial tape measure and ruler. Live in Australia.
Ian

gap998

Postby gap998 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

OK - So far I've only modeled my Zip on CAD, but I converted all my measurements to metric and wrote them on the plans (In hindsight I should have copied them first!), it takes a while but you do study as you go and get more familiar with the design.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

fcooks

Re: Fairing the BOW section at the stem

Postby fcooks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Now the issue I am having problems with is getting the fairing done on the Stem.... this is not an easy match so just wondering if anyone has the same issues. The Sheer was petty thick, in hindsight i should have laminated 2 sections and it seems the angles i have on it are pretty acute.. the plywood sheet matching is going to be difficult and ma wondering if stress on the plywood and Sheer is something you all have or are the joints I have glued just messed up ?

fcooks

Postby fcooks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks to all on this....I Have just learned to deal with the Imperial measurement and have bought a tape measure with both :lol: It's actually good to know them both as my motorcycles are both American bikes and now I can transfer this skill !

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 am

Hi and welcome :D

Ill be in Wellington in August :D looking forward to it!

knowing both Metric and Imperial is a good advantage, I was tought both Metric and Imperial its really handy knowing both :wink:

Look forward to seeing updates of your boat build!

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon May 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi

I am building a Zip in Auckland. Feel free to ask any questions there are a few NZ builders that can help out.
I too bought an imperial and metric tape measure. It actually isnt very hard using the imperial measurements the only time it gets difficuilt is when purchasing wood and doing the conversions. However if you are prepared beforehand then its not too hard.

One gotcha to look out for is that some measurements for timber on the zip plans are for dressed and some are not.
Brendon

fcooks

Postby fcooks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 am

Hey Brendon

Good to know I am not the only one thinking of building a boat. I have a question on the fibreglassing ...your boat looks amazing and I am wondering if you find that you had to use plenty of coats of glass to get it this way or is there a secret to how you went about glassing your boat ?

I have applied 3 coats of resin on top of hte cloth already and am getting orangepeel texture that i need to keep sanding down not to mention the ridges from overlapping cloth ...is this something you encountered or am I missing something ?

appreciate your feedback !
Fritz

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:36 am

Fritz

Start sanding. Start with 80 grit.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I used about three coats of epoxy over the cloth (It did seem like alot) then used an orbital sander and longboard to go over it. I also used a high build primer undercoat and again used the longboard to get it flat.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”