Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Porgy

Postby Porgy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 am

Porgy
I have rebuilt a Glassparg3 from the skin up and 4 sailing Dinghy's and a rowboat all with system 3.
Would like to build something like the Kingfisher 18 with more bow flair.

Dave Grason

Re: New member

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Welcome Porgy, to our little corner of the internet.

I think the Kingfisher is a great design. It can be built either as an outboard or as an I/O. I'm guessing that, if you want more bow flare, you are likely going to be using the boat in some pretty rough seas from time to time - maybe out in the ocean. Am I correct? If you ARE planning on using it out on the ocean, take a look at the Key West just to compare. Also, there have been some builders who have specifically built boats for fishing in coastal waters for the least amount of money and they've been happy with the Double Eagle. Kens is one builder that comes to mind. In the catalog, the Double Eagle is shown with a cabin but Kens is one builder that omitted the cabin in favor of having a boat with a lot of walk around room. Building it this way can be very economical. So, I'm just throwing some ideas around. If you've already done your research, by all means, stick with the Kingfisher.

I don't personally know of any forum members here that have actually built that design - at least not active members who are posting on a regular basis. But the boat is still a plywood over frames design. This means it is built just about the same way as all the OTHER wooden boats that our forum members are building. As far as power boats are concenred, the exceptions are the stitch and glue method and cold molding for some of the fancy runabouts. So there is a ton of expertise to be found here.

BTW, a lot of new members leave out their location. But on this forum, knowing where you are located helps others to help you track down materials in your local area. You don't have to be specific if you want to remain more anonymous. You could just list a largish city closeby and that would be fine.

Welcome again to the forum.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”