Hello from New Orleans, Louisiana

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Cmf0204

Hello from New Orleans, Louisiana

Postby Cmf0204 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 am

Hello Everyone. I've spent several hours on this great website and others in an effort to learn about boat buildings. I'm a bit confused however on what is the best method of construction for a beginner like myself with a moderate amount of wood working experience. I particularly like the runabout Monaco style boat 18', however I question if it is too advanced for a novice builder such as myself. Also what is the best method of construction based on my skill level. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Bill Edmundson

Re: Hello from New Orleans, Louisiana

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:27 am

Cmf0204

If you have moderate skills, then you can build a Monaco. With only moderate skills I built the Tahoe 19. All three method used here are sound. Stitch and glue can somewhat limit the boat size chances of modifications. Skin on frame and cold mold start about the same. Cold mold planking goes slow.

Personally, I usually tell people to build the boat they want. I also recommend the 10% stretch since people are just bigger now.

Welcome! Please, add your location to your profile. We have several builder in the area who can be a big help locating materials. There are other similar boats to the Monaco that you could go look at and talk to the builder.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:10 pm

I would echo what Bill said. If you want the Monaco, then build the Monaco. I'd also recommend adding the 10% length, as Bill mentioned. Almost everyone wishes they had done so, once their completed boat is in the water.

I had essentially zero woodworking experience when I started building my boat. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, and you will, too. I was able to work my way through them, and you will, too. I did not build my "first choice" boat, but rather went with a "starter" that I perceived as being easier. While this did have some benefits for me personally, by the time I was finished, I realized I could have easily built my "first choice" design. So, I'm telling you.... if you want the Monaco, you can build it.

I've ridden in a Monaco a few times, at the Gatherings. It's a helluva boat. Beautiful, too.

No matter which boat design, or which construction method... as Glen states in Boatbuilding with Plywood, it's all a step-by-step procedure. Just focus on each step at a time, and in time (faster for some, slower for others) you will have an amazing and fun boat that you'll be connected to in a way that's just not possible from simply buying a boat.

I personally see no benefit in the "stitch and glue" designs. Although the method is supposedly easier, from reviewing a few designs I personally think the method is simply "different."

Welcome aboard!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I agree with Bill and Mike , I had no woodworking experience except for making a cutting board and pencil box at high school some 35 years prior .
I made mistakes ,fixed them ,enjoyed the build and learnt heaps of new skills .Build the boat you want .

Cmf0204

Postby Cmf0204 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I will absolutely update my profile and add my location. It would be great to connect with other builders in the area as building a boat has been on my bucket list for a while. My grandfather built a couple much larger boats from wood after retirement many years ago and it always amazed me.

I plan to order the recommended books on this website and familiarize myself with the building methods. Particularly interested in reading “boat building with plywood” as you have pointed out. I’m sure I’ll have more questions after I read up on the subject!

Thanks you again.
Chris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:18 am

Chris

Look at my link below. It's for a Tahoe. It is exactly the same process as the Monaco.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Cmf0204

Postby Cmf0204 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the well archived pics of you boat build..really helpful to see the process as you posted the progress step by step. I have a couple questions. You mentioned it would be helpful to epoxy the hull as you assembled. Is this because all bare wood inside the hull should be encapsulated and coated with an epoxy and it's easier to apply prior to assembly?

Also as you apply the strips of plywood, do you use screws or nails as you apply the first layer? or only glue? It appears the first layer is epoxyed and clamped, second layer epoxy and nailed, third and final layer was epoxyed without nails....though I'm trying to figure out how since it doesn't appear there would be a surface to clamp to.

Im located in New Orleans and I'm still doing my homework and wanted to see if there are any local builders in my area that would be interested in sharing their boat building knowledge, experience, and tips.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Chris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 am

Chris

I used brads to attach the layers. Raptor brads and staples seem to be the best way to go. They are plastic and are easy to knock of the heads or punch throughs. Glen-L has the guns and fasteners.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Cmf0204

Postby Cmf0204 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks Bill!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”