New Member from Southampton England

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AndyFord

New Member from Southampton England

Postby AndyFord » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 am

Hi all

I am looking to build a Zip over the next couple of years. I work full time so this is an achievable timescale.I have been looking at the forum recently and you have a great wealth of knowledge out there. As it is my first boat build I may be reaching out to you all for advice.

Roberta

Re: New Member from Southampton England

Postby Roberta » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 am

Welcome aboard!! The Zip will be a Great first build/ And, yes, there will be much help offered on the forum. Post pics and ask away!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Andy

You might try to contact Graham Knight in Shepperton Eng. He hasn't been active here for a while. But, he's a great guy with a lot of information!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 am

Welcome, Andy. I'm intrigued - where are you planning to use the Zip - Southampton Water/Hamble? Because I came to the conclusion that there are insufficient stretches of calm water in this country where such a flat-bottomed boat will work well so I bought Nimrod plans.

Ian

AndyFord

Postby AndyFord » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Ian

One reason for the Zip selection was that it fitted within my Garage as that will be my workspace. Garage length is 15' 6". I will be using on Southampton water, river Hamble and the Solent. I will look into the hull characteristics with the Zip and Nimrod. The biggest issue is build space available.

Thanks for the advice

Andy

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:02 am

AndyFord wrote:One reason for the Zip selection was that it fitted within my Garage as that will be my workspace. Garage length is 15' 6". I will be using on Southampton water, river Hamble and the Solent. I will look into the hull characteristics with the Zip and Nimrod. The biggest issue is build space available.

Sounds like an exact copy of my selection criteria - I liked the Zip, could reasonably build it in the garage......but then got worried about its suitability for the waterways we have access to in the UK. Didn't want to end up with a beautiful boat that I'd struggle to use to its full potential without travelling to the Lake District on a calm day! My garage is about the same length as yours and slightly less than that across. I reckon I can build a 15' boat if it's diagonally across the space. Just. Everything's a compromise and I've ended up compromising slightly on the style of the boat I'm building in the hope that it'll make it more usable in more places. I'll be doing the Nimrod with a Zip-style deck and seating so I have the plans for both sitting on my desk beside me. Even then the result will be a no-no for rough seas but I can't go any bigger :(

I spent a lot of time in my student days on the waters between Hamble and Cowes and all points in between. It can get pretty rough in the Solent - don't think I'd fancy it in Zip.... I'm absolutely not trying to put you off but I read an awful lot about the Zip that I intended to build before realising that having built it I'd struggle to use it anywhere that I reasonably have access to.

Another thing I've realised is that I'm probably going to end up buying another boat! Sounds crazy but early indications are that it's cheaper (or certainly no more expensive) to buy a complete, working boat with an engine on a trailer than to buy a used outboard on its own. Possibly less risky too as you get to test the motor on the boat rather than just in a tank. And buying complete you get all the controls and wiring plus, if you buy carefully, a trailer that can be adapted to fit the boat you're building. It's also a cunning way of having a boat that you can use while you build your chosen Glen-L design :lol: You can buy an awful lot of 'complete boat package' for around £1500 while 40-50hp motors are considerably less easy to find for the same price.

BrianO'C

Postby BrianO'C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31 am

I am from UK too not far from Southampton. My current boating base is Littlehampton where I keep my present boat, of 14 years, a Hunter Horizon 21 Yacht in which my wife and I have enjoyed many cruises and weekend "jollies" along the South Coast of the UK over the years. However arthritis and advancing years mean that leaping around a pitching foredeck in choppy seas is no longer such a good idea for either of us.
I have had a great desire for some years to actually build myself a boat before I become too decrepit and I have been scouring the wooden boat plan providers web sites over the past few months to find a motor boat that will enable both sociable family days out and for the two of us to use in and around the south coast and its many estuaries and inlets as well as being able to tow it to places further away. As you will see from another message I left in the motorboats section of the forum I have decided that the Overniter is buildable in my garage and will have the stamina and versatility to cope with a variety of waters from the upper River Arun to coastwise passages to the Solent and Isle of Wight. I also really like the style of it!
I last actually built a boat, a 14ft 6in plywood kayak when I was 18, but have restored a pre-war National 14 dingy some years ago just before the kids arrived and more recently a River Thames rowing skiff, both of these projects gave me great satisfaction, but not a boat that was much use to me or the family. The Glen-l 1960's designs in plywood hark back to small power boats that I owned in my youth and seem the answer to my hopes and skills and I am looking forward to receiving the plans, as well as any advice from local and world wide builders of Glen-l boats.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Really starting to get a collection of UK builders on here now - G1 UK soon perhaps! :lol:

I have Zip plans, but in hindsight a Nimrod would have been a more usable design although not as pretty as a Zip. Still it's not all about practicality (I used to drive a Westfield to work every day!), and I was down at Cardiff bay this evening & it was like a mill pond!

I plan to do an Overniter after the Zip so I'm really interested to see how your's progresses Brian.

Good luck with choices & build all - There's plenty of help & good advice on here whatever you choose.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

AndyFord

Postby AndyFord » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered my plans. I have gone for the Zip. I looked at the Nimrod and the width leaves me no room in the garage. I am really looking forward to receiving the plans and getting started. I will send pictures once I get going. :D

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”