Hello from Darien, IL.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AJN51

Hello from Darien, IL.

Postby AJN51 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 am

Hello from Darien, IL. I look to be starting my 1st Glen-L project, hopefully, this summer. I am planning on using my garage. As I plan my workspace I did have my 1st question. Has anyone experienced issues with the seasons and humidity? In the summer, doors in our house expand a bit and shrink in winter, etc etc. Has anyone experienced this causing problems with their projects? Thanks.

hoodman

Re: Hello from Darien, IL.

Postby hoodman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:41 pm

No problems here. Quarter sawn lumber is more stable than the typical house framing softwoods. Plywood is dimensionally stable as well. Also you'll likely keep all the materials in the same space so they should all expand and contract at the same rate.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Welcome,

You shouldnt experience any problems with humidity and the wood expanding and contracting. What you will have to do is plan your large epoxy jobs like encapsulating and fiberglassing around the weather to prevent bubbles and it setting up too fast. Nothing that isnt pretty simply worked around so dont worry about it.

What design are you planning to build?

AJN51

Postby AJN51 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Hoodman and Vupilot,
I hope I am replying correctly. It's my first time on the message board. Thank you both for the information. Vupilot, in response to your question of what I am thinking of building...I am thinking outboard for my first project. I am not great with motors, so I wasn't sure about inboard motors. I seem to keep going back to the Malahini design.

Talk to you soon,

Andy N.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 am

Malahini is a great boat. Good size but not huge, fits in garages and good for our little midwestern lakes.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”