New Member from Way up North

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hoodman

Re: New Member from Way up North

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:28 pm

On the rot. I would think the first step is to remove all the rotten part back to good wood. Square up the holes and then take pictures from multiple angles and some of the folks here can help you figure out how to patch it if it does not become apparent to you in the process. Epoxy will do wonders in this situation I think. Then you'll re-glass the area and re-paint and it will as good as new. It seems to me when I've seen these older boats where the glass has delaminated that they may have used polyester resin. Glassing with epoxy should not delaminate like that.

1969Jet

Postby 1969Jet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi There

When talking to my Dad who built her in 1969 he said it was a Polyester filler no epoxy products available at that time. He also mentioned that he has to replace the lift strakes quite often as they keep breaking. Ill be redoing all the hull fiberglass, ive stripped most of it just have bottom of hull left. BTW will i have issues if there is polyester filler on wood panels?

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm not sure if epoxy is compatible over polyester resin. The answer is probably in the book somewhere. Suppose you could re glass with polyester if you had to. A call to Glen-l might help.

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Epoxies will adhere well to cured polyesters. The rule of thumb that polyesters will not adhere well to cured epoxies is being challenged.
Here's a link to a thread covering the topic :

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”