Hello everyone from beautiful Michigan

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

James P

Hello everyone from beautiful Michigan

Postby James P » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

I hope to build a boat sometime in the future. Most likely the Zip. I decided to join this forum to gain as much knowledge as I can before hand.
I have been watching Joshua Burk's build on youtube. Joshua, if you're out there reading this you are a craftsmen my friend! Your attention to detail is truly inspiring. My family has owned a boat since I was young, and like all of you here love the look and tradition of a wood boat.
Yesterday, I reached out to Ted Gauthier who's boat was featured on Glen L. Thank you Ted for the info on the mill. So, in short.
I look forward to learning as much as I can about building a boat and seeing all the beautiful work you guys and gals do.
If anyone has advice on getting started on their first build,please let me know.

Thanks all, look forward to making lots of new friends here.

James Parvana

Roberta

Re: Hello everyone from beautiful Michigan

Postby Roberta » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

Welcome aboard!!! My best advice in getting started is to plan ahead so you have the necessary tools, materials, and space to prevent getting painted into the proverbial corner. Know and understand the instructions and patterns well before making that first cut. And remember, it's only wood and it can be repaired, altered, and/or replaced, if necessary.

Have Fun, ask questions, and POST PICTURES!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 pm

James P wrote: Joshua Burk's build on youtube. Joshua, if you're out there reading this you are a craftsmen my friend! Your attention to detail is truly inspiring.

I am most definately here! Welcome to the forum!!!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Welcome,

Im sure Ted told you, buy the plans and the boatbuilding with plywood book from Glen L. Then, grab a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and start tracing and cutting the plywood parts with a jigsaw and suddenly you are a boatbuilder!

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:09 pm

vupilot wrote: buy the plans and the boatbuilding with plywood book from Glen L. Then, grab a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and start tracing and cutting the plywood parts with a jigsaw and suddenly you are a boatbuilder!

Ditto, and welcome, James! You're gonna have a GREAT time building your boat!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

James P

Postby James P » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 pm

joshuab wrote:
James P wrote: Joshua Burk's build on youtube. Joshua, if you're out there reading this you are a craftsmen my friend! Your attention to detail is truly inspiring.

I am most definately here! Welcome to the forum!!!

Hey Joshua, I subscribed to your youtube channel and have been binge watching your build.
For a guy that claims he's not a boat builder you are doing one heck of a job. I'm up to the part where you have the cockpit lighting installed and demonstrating how the remote works. Very cool.
I was wondering. Did you have to plane the mahogany to get a uniform thickness, or did you buy it that way?

P.S. Nice job on the floor. I like the wide narrow plank scheme.
Cheers!
James

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:14 pm

The mahogany is exactly how i bought it, it is sold as 3/4" but measures out about 13/16".....slightly thicker, i did not plane any of it just cut to shape, sanded and assembled. When i first started i didn't know what to look for in wood, now i don't go wood shopping without my straight edge! You CAN do it too, it takes a little time getting comfortable cutting up expensive wood at first but eventually you don't even think about it, just hack away :lol: lots and lots of way more knowledgeable people than me on this forum, and they are all very generous with thier time and advice. Use this forum as a tool, it has helped me tremendously in my Zip build. Now get started!!!
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

TomB

Postby TomB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:12 am

Welcome. We moved from West Bloomfield last summer. You are in a great area for boating!

Public Lumber at 7 Mile and I-75 was a convenient source. They have some of everything and let you wander around to just look and can mill to size. I went there with my cut list and picked out just the right boards for a couple of projects. LL Johnson in Charlotte only charged $62 for delivery of all the lumber and plywood for my Tahoe 23 build.

TomB

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:31 am

Welcome James!

Lot's of builder in SE Michigan and beyond. Keep us in mind for the "flip."
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

jcallends

Postby jcallends » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:30 am

You'll enjoy this blog Jimmy but I don't understand the word "beautiful" for this time of the year. Here in Coldwater its just plain gray most of the time except when its white when it is snowing.

James P

Postby James P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 pm

joshuab wrote:The mahogany is exactly how i bought it, it is sold as 3/4" but measures out about 13/16".....slightly thicker, i did not plane any of it just cut to shape, sanded and assembled. When i first started i didn't know what to look for in wood, now i don't go wood shopping without my straight edge! You CAN do it too, it takes a little time getting comfortable cutting up expensive wood at first but eventually you don't even think about it, just hack away :lol: lots and lots of way more knowledgeable people than me on this forum, and they are all very generous with thier time and advice. Use this forum as a tool, it has helped me tremendously in my Zip build. Now get started!!!

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping the more I get into this the clearer it will become.

James P

Postby James P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:54 pm

JimmY wrote:Welcome James!

Lot's of builder in SE Michigan and beyond. Keep us in mind for the "flip."

Thank you Jimmy,

I may just take you up on that offer to help with the flip when that day comes. The start of my build is a ways off yet unfortunately.
House needs new windows, and a few other honey do jobs. Also my youngest is still in college. One more year left there. Free time is at a premium for me currently.
My other big love is bicycling. I do century rides, a few time trials and the like.
I would also like to do some long distance touring ie: ride across the US.
That takes a few months as you might expect. Some many interests, so little free time.
I'll be seeing you around here I'm sure.

James P

James P

Postby James P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:01 pm

vupilot wrote:Welcome,

Im sure Ted told you, buy the plans and the boatbuilding with plywood book from Glen L. Then, grab a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and start tracing and cutting the plywood parts with a jigsaw and suddenly you are a boatbuilder!

We talked a bit about where to buy Mahogany in our area. He doesn't live too far from me. I saw his boat featured on Glen L and contacted him via Face Book. I have a few home improvement jobs that I have to complete before my build can start.
I look forward to the advice you guys have to offer. I'm sure we will be talking here on the forum.
Cheers!

James P.

James P

Postby James P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 pm

TomB wrote:Welcome. We moved from West Bloomfield last summer. You are in a great area for boating!

Public Lumber at 7 Mile and I-75 was a convenient source. They have some of everything and let you wander around to just look and can mill to size. I went there with my cut list and picked out just the right boards for a couple of projects. LL Johnson in Charlotte only charged $62 for delivery of all the lumber and plywood for my Tahoe 23 build.

TomB

Hey Tom, pleased to meet you. I used to have a 250 Sea Ray Sundancer that we kept in Sarnia Canada. We moved to Michigan from up state NY. Michigan is a great state for boating! We sold our boat last July. It was just too big for most of the inland lakes closer to home, but a nice size for Lake Huron. I see your living in Holland MI. I'm an avid cyclist and in 2015 did the Holland hundred 100 mile bike ride.
Great countryside out your way. Thanks for the heads up on public lumber. They buy doors from my company. I'll have to take a run over there. I'm sure we'll see lots of each other on the forum.
James

James P

Postby James P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Roberta wrote:Welcome aboard!!! My best advice in getting started is to plan ahead so you have the necessary tools, materials, and space to prevent getting painted into the proverbial corner. Know and understand the instructions and patterns well before making that first cut. And remember, it's only wood and it can be repaired, altered, and/or replaced, if necessary.

Have Fun, ask questions, and POST PICTURES!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

Your boat is beautiful!! Your absolutely right. I just need to get started.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”