New member from Ballyclare Northern Ireland

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Hunter79

New member from Ballyclare Northern Ireland

Postby Hunter79 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:34 am

Hi all,

I'm completely new to boat building and have always had a notion of tackling a barrelback !
I'm a cabinet maker by trade so working with wood won't be a huge shock but I'm aware that for everything I know about cabinet making there's just as much if not more I need to learn about boat building
With that in mind I ordered the Glen l boat building in cold molded ply book and hopefully I'll get my barrelback 19 plans for Father's Day!

DSR

Re: New member from Ballyclare Northern Ireland

Postby DSR » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:05 am

Hi Hunter79

Welcome to the forum and congrats on choosing such a beautiful boat to build!

Thanks
Dave :D
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Hunter79

Postby Hunter79 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks Dave,
It is a lovely design, and I've been looking at the builders pictures on the glen l site, they all look amazing...
Thanks,
Richard.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Welcome Richard,

Some really great people on here - a real goldmine of advice & information. You made the right move starting with the book - A lot of the contents are mirrored in the thread but together it fills in all the gaps.

Some people get lucky, but be warned, HMRC may sting you for VAT on the plans & the courier or Post Office add £8.00 handling fee :x :roll:

Good luck & post lots of pictures!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Hunter79

Postby Hunter79 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Gary,
Here's hoping the exchange rate gets better!
I've read the book, actually did throw a lot of light on things, especially initial stages of construction... Been pricing marine ply which will have to be shipped over from England as there's nobody over here that can supply it, my main concern is the running gear and where to get it what type etc etc but that's a while off as I haven't even ordered the plans yet!!
Maybe some forum searching required tonight me thinks...

Richard.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

Hunter79 wrote:Been pricing marine ply which will have to be shipped over from England as there's nobody over here that can supply it

I didn't believe this when I read it. 2 minutes on Google showed up McMahons who stock BS1088 marine ply. They have branches in Derry and Omagh. There are bound to be loads more places too if you look hard enough. Shipping from England, you'll pay more in shipping than the cost of the ply.

Having been through searches for timber suppliers myself recently my advice would be don't restrict yourself to places that claim to stock boatbuilding timber. Marine ply is really easy to come by - it gets more tricky only if you want it faced with a specific hardwood for a bright finish hull. And you won't need that for a barrelback as you'll be finishing with solid timber.

Hunter79

Postby Hunter79 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 am

Hi, yes you had my hopes up there for a minute but it's the 3mm stuff that I can't seem to find over here which is what I think I need for the hull.. McMahons have 9, 12, 18 and 25.. One place about 25 miles from me had 'marine' ply advertised on their website, it was only when I rang to order and they asked what I wanted it for that they said it was actually more of an exterior ply and not really suitable for boat building!

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 am

I half expected you to say that as I noticed they don't mention 3mm. I've had another look here: http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/Marine_D ... panies.jsp and, strange though it may be, it appears that you're right. There isn't one company listed in Northern Ireland despite their rich shipbuilding history :(

Try Sykes (http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/) - they list 3mm birch ply but it may not be marine grade. The only other people I've been in touch with are Robbins (www.robbins.co.uk) who defininitely have 3mm marine ply.

Hunter79

Postby Hunter79 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:35 am

Yes, it's a sad fact, however the last boat/ship one of my great relatives had a hand in making famously sank on its maiden voyage!
I was actually in touch with robins last week and they were only quoting £55 delivery which seems very good value considering my local builders merchants less than one mile away charge 25!!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”