G'day from Sydney, Australia

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

StephenG

G'day from Sydney, Australia

Postby StephenG » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi there everyone,

A big hello from Sydney, Australia as I start out on this amazing journey of self building.
I have bought a set of Glen L plans for the 19' barrelback and plan to extend it to the 20' option.
All tooled up with some good toys (band saw, table saw, planes, clamps, clamps and more clamps) to hopefully make light work of the bigger parts of the construction.
So far I have made good progress on the first 7 frames using some beautiful quarter sawn Douglas Fir. I'm about to start joining the frames together using silicon bronze fasteners and epoxy glue but was wondering whether any one has an opinion on which type of fasteners to use.

I definitely plan on using the screws for the frame/deck beams and frame/floor timbers but read somewhere that it is recommended to use boat nails for the gusset sided frame junctions. Is it better to stick with the ring shanked boat nails for the gussets or are screws better to use?

I'm sure I'll have stacks of questions as I work my way through the build but have to say I am really excited to be started!

Cheers,

Stephen

Ozzieboat

Re: G'day from Sydney, Australia

Postby Ozzieboat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 am

G'day Stephen
Stick to the "Schedule of Fasteners" and you can't go wrong. Best to drill pilot holes for the ring shanked nails.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:38 am

If your Barrelback plans are like the Glen-L plans I have, type and size of fastener is specified either in the written instructions or on one of the drawing sheets. In the case of the gusset fixings it's specified on both. Best to go with the designer's recommendation unless you have a good reason not to. I don't have Barrelback plans so can't give you specifics but I'd put money on the information being there somewhere! In my case (and it's a smaller boat), screws are specified.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:47 am

Stephen

Welcome. On the gussets, I like put my glue on, the locate the gusset. I then shoot it with a couple of brads before pre-drilling for the ring shanks. Try a test piece and try to remove the nail. Once you do you'll have a lot more confidence in the nails.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:02 am

Bill, would you consider ring shank nails to be equal in strength (or effectiveness, given that the epoxy takes the strain) to screws for securing gussets even where screws are specified on the plans? They are smaller in diameter but that may not be relevant. My natural tendency would be to favour screws over nails pretty much everywhere but that's from experience in non-boat-building applications (and without epoxy) so I may have some prejudices to lose....

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 am

Yes. Go drive one of those ring shanks and leave the head expose. Just try to get it out. They will hold.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 am

Thanks. For visible gussets I would prefer the look of nails so that's good to know.

StephenG

Postby StephenG » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Oh wow... I'm online!
Was waiting for the moderator to green light me onto the board and didn't realise that had happened...

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses... I have a clearer picture in my mind of where to go next.
I've been working on the stem and transom in the meantime so plenty to do.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”