New Builder - Alaska Drifter

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

donal

New Builder - Alaska Drifter

Postby donal » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

My name is Donal I live in Ninilchik Ak and have just received the plans for the McKenzie River Drifter. I have just retired and have never built a boat before but have always wanted to. The plans seem very vague as far as the particulars of the process. I really didn't receive any assembly instructions, ie., which fasteners to use and where, bending chines, sheers, and battens, etc. Some of it is common sense and I am figuring it out but it would be nice to have a few more specifics. Looking forward to the adventure any help would be appreciated.

Bill Edmundson

Re: New Builder - Alaska Drifter

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

Donal

Welcome to the forum! We have had a few drift boats built here on the forum. I don't remember if any of these guys are currently active. Most of the designs are one of three building methods. Somebody here will be able to help you through. Study the plans and instruction sheets. Most of the information is there someplace. Please ask any questions. somebody else probably has a similar question. POST PICTURES :!:

We like pictures!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Donal: Welcome! A lot of the information is common to most of the boats built here. Most can be found in "Boatbuilding with Plywood". If you haven't all ready read it, I would highly recommend it. If you are planning on fiberglassing later, you should also read "How to Fiberglass a boat". Good luck with your build, and ditto on the pictures.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Postby TomB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:51 am

Donal,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the fraternity of retirees building their first boat. I echo Bill’s recommendation to closely read the instructions. There are typically tidbits buried everywhere. I read photos best and find most of what I need scouring the photos provided by the giants that went before us. For example, Mark Mariano’s progress photos - http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/driftboa ... a-montana/ might be useful if you have not seen them. The forum is also a great resource for things like scarfing plywood, epoxy, finishes, etc.

Best of Luck.

Tom

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”