New Member and squirt build from Yorkshire UK

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Azt3k

New Member and squirt build from Yorkshire UK

Postby Azt3k » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 am

Hi there!

My name is Mick, from Yorkshire in England, so way across the pond from most of you guys :D

Today I am starting my Squirt build. Ive been searching the forum for a while now and already found lots and lots of great reading material and help facts which I have booked marked. Also having found a few squirt build blogs on the internet is going to be a big help to.

Ive also been watching Joshua B's Zip build on youtube which has been a great influence and help and gave me some great ideas for the Squirt! look forward to the next video.

So today I will be off to the local boat yard to pick up some mahogany and ply and make a start on my templates and frames. My idea is also to keep a documented blog (Like Most builders) and I look forward to your input!

Cheers
Mick

JimmY

Re: New Member and squirt build from Yorkshire UK

Postby JimmY » Fri May 05, 2017 9:21 am

Welcome to the Squirt builder's club!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 am

Mick

Sproogy just posted about discounts from Robbins at the Beale Park Show.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Fri May 05, 2017 11:28 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Mick

Sproogy just posted about discounts from Robbins at the Beale Park Show.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Ill check that out!

cheers
Mick

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Beale Park is a bit of a trek for you, Mick (it's on the Thames) but potentially worthwhile for the savings if Robbins are otherwise competitive for timber compared to your local supplier. See http://www.bealeparkboatandoutdoorshow.co.uk/.

It'll make you guys in the US laugh but this is as close as we get to your Gathering.......

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Fri May 05, 2017 2:32 pm

2 hours 50 minutes drive for me,

but saying that, unfortunately im working up in Scotland on the 2nd and 3rd of june and wont be back till the afternoon of the 4th so I will have completely missed it any how.

Not to worry, if its every year ill make the next one for sure! :)

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Yeah, i've just checked my work dates and i'm working up in Scotland unfortunately so won't be able to make it.

But I'll definitely stick it in the calendar for next year, if its a yearly thing.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Azt3k wrote:But I'll definitely stick it in the calendar for next year, if its a yearly thing.

It is an annual event.

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Sun May 07, 2017 10:42 am

Quick question about saws.

Tomorrow I officially start cutting out my frame pieces.

I was going to buy in the morning either a scroll saw or a band saw but I wanted to know which would do the better job at cutting out the frame pieces, and curves, as I want to do it as neat as possible and not rip or chip my wood. And i'd rather not use a jig saw in the fear of completely ripping my mahogany timber.

Cheers
Mick

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun May 07, 2017 10:59 am

I would get a band saw. Many more uses than just cutting out frames.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Sun May 07, 2017 12:24 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:I would get a band saw. Many more uses than just cutting out frames.

Absolutely Bryan, seen some great deasl at my local Tool Mart on band saws, so once ive got rid of the wife at work, ill go treat myself :D

im sure it will come in handy for other things... especially for the wifes garden furniture she wants building too ... plant pots, bench, shed, new fence, gates, gazebo... and what ever other mad ideas she has lol :roll: :roll: ... oh a dove house :? :?

Mick

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

So today I've been busy cutting out my frame members, I also bought my self a band saw which has made the job so much easier :D

I must say, I've never worked with African Mahogany before, but it's such a pretty wood, and the 3 pieces i purchased looked fantastic! No knots in the wood, and perfect straight grain... but pretty expensive! I purchased 3 boards at 8ft / 6" for my frames. 1 of these boards cost me £20 ($25.88 - US ) - £60 for all 3 boards ($77.64 US)

Im surprised how long it took me to cut out the frames, but then again i was cutting them out pretty slow as I didn't want to make a mess of them.

My first steps, Tracing out the templates:
1.JPG

My frames cut out... Didn't take to many photos
3.jpg

This is an oopsy I made.. and my first ever cut... i learnt a very quick lessons here, as the rest of my frames were cut pretty much perfect :lol: But! I did manage to salvage this piece for another smaller part of the frame.
4.JPG

I have double and tripple checked my frame pieces with the plans so i'm pretty happy with them being quite accurate cuts. And on a super plus note.. I managed to utilise most of my Mahogany boards, with out having to go out and buy any more. :mrgreen:

My next step is, I just need to cut out the 2 small frame pieces of the Transom, and then I can start on my gussets, I'll have an assembly day on Wednesday!

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Quick work Mick!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Azt3k

Postby Azt3k » Tue May 09, 2017 3:08 pm

gap998 wrote:Quick work Mick!

Unfortunately, quick work thats almost come to a stop, I'm trying to source some where that stocks good quality Marine Plywood round my local area and its proving difficult. Looks like I may need to order it off the net :?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”